Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed out my turn signal switch and my brake light switch, the turn signal s worked great for a min then they stopped and now when I turn on my left blinker the two front flash as well as all the gauges when I turn on the right every is perfect also recently the front left bulb blew so I changed both and the right is a extremely noticable amount brighter then the left. I'm thinking it's a ground issue but I'm really tired and don't know where to start and the previous owner thought he was a electrician and there's alot of crap going on. Any help is appreciated

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh forgot to mention when it stopped working the fuse blew, and of course I did not see it but the steering wheel was still off and my friend said he saw a small spark near the right corner of the turn signal switch right before they stopped working. So I'm guessing ground is hitting power some where

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,963 Posts
Sounds like you answered your own question, pull the switch back out and check for loose/ burned connections to start.

Reactions: willysyj88

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you answered your own question, pull the switch back out and check for loose/ burned connections to start.
I was just checking my brake light switch plug to see if I had power. Now correct me if I'm working but I believe the stop light is powereed from the hazard fuse? So I didn't realize I had the fuse out at the moment I for got but something was telling me to check continuity so just because I hooked one prob to the battery ground and when I touched I believe the pink wire it beeps... My question is that wire suppose to be. Grounded? Or do I have a grounded postive wire? That fuse was blown that's why I did not have it in but just because I took a wire and from the battery postive and I touched it to that terminal and sure enough the brake lights worked. so just wondering what you think I should do

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,963 Posts
Here is a few pages of wiring schematics to help you along.

Brakes/ Hazards, off 15 amp fuse.
Taillights/turn signals are off separate 15 amp. below the brakes on the fuse block.
Running lights are off the headlamp 20 amp fuse.

These are from The 90 YJ FSM, but should be almost perfect for your applications, I use this for all my electrical problems on my '89, helps me solve most, or at least ask better questions when I need help.

Hope these help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
I My question is that wire suppose to be. Grounded? Or do I have a grounded postive wire? That fuse was blown that's why I did not have it in but just because I took a wire and from the battery postive and I touched it to that terminal and sure enough the brake lights worked. so just wondering what you think I should do

Not sure I get your question exactly right. After you replace the brake/ hazard fuse with a new 15 amp (blue) fuse. you will have 12v to the switch which is normally open when the pedal is released. When you press the pedal it completes (closes) the circuit and allows the 12v to head to the brake lights.

The switch works in reverse of how you would think. I think that was your question.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts