Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody! I just bought a 1988 YJ 2.5L. It has a fantastic, rust free body and super clean interior. The Engine was rebuilt about 1600 miles ago but runs like crap. It starts up fine and idles smoothly but I have to press the gas really slow or it will hesitate. I'm pretty certain that this behaviour is attributed to one of the sensors. I'm going to start with replacing the distributor cap, wires and plugs. My question is... Does anybody have any guidance on which sensor to start with? Should I go to my local shop and have trouble codes pulled? Or does anybody have any guidance on purchasing my own diagnostic computer? Thanks in advance and thanks for the help!!!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Don't think you can pull codes on the 88. I experienced the same problem after overhaul because I reused all the old component that bolt on the engine. I started with the normal actors in the ignition and then went on to the emissions. Carb or injected is going to make a big difference in the advice you get here. So fill out your profile that way when we answer we can reference your rig and get it right. Then the asnwers will fly!!

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Greenwood,

Go to Alldatadiy.com and get a $30(?) membership. They should have you jeep manual in reference where you can access it anytime you want. It also has all of the current updates and bulletins so you are squared away with your troubleshooting. I also think there is another place online that does this but I don't know the name.

Take care,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts