Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to post a thread for my 88 YJ build. I’m starting with a 2.5l bone stock YJ. Bought it for 2k with half doors and a new soft top. Previous owner put 30x9.5 tires on and replaced/rivitted the drivers floor pan in. As well as patching the frame on the rear passenger side. The plan is to have a capable off road rig that also has great street manners ( everyone’s starting point right ).
I’m looking to drop in a 5.3 Vortec from an 03’ Avalanche. Replace the AX-5 with an AX-15. Do a 1” body lift, 3.5 or less suspension lift, and flat fenders to get 35”s underneath. I’ve already sourced a rebuilt NP231 t-case with SYE from Mountain Garage. The build will take place in a few weeks at Country Built LLC in PA. The owner Mike is an extremely knowledgeable fabricator and builder with over 20 years in the Offroad community. Weather through competition crawling, Jeep Jamborees, or Jeep camps, he’s done it all. I’m working with him exclusively to do the work.
Follow along as the build comes together. And give Mike a follow on IG at @Country_built_llc

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got a t-case with HD internals and SYE installed from Mountain Garage in VA. Picking up the engine very soon. This build is building momentum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Started cleaning everything up for the swap. Ive got a D30 housing that I stripped down and prepped for paint. Got one piece axles from a TJ. That’ll eliminate the 2 piece passenger axle and add some beef to the u joints.
I used electrolysis to remove rust on the steering components. Worked awesome. Trans is ordered and I should be into the big stuff in a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been a while but lots of progress over at Country Built in PA. Here’s a list of parts.
Drivetrain:
2006 5.3 vortec truck motor
Rebuilt AX - 15
Rebuilt NP231 TC
Axles:
Full width Dana 44 front Torque locker
Full width Ford 9” rear Torque locker
BFG Wrangler 35x12.5 on 17x9 wheels.
Suspension:
44044 springs for a 4” wheelbase stretch
Spring under front and rear
Shackle reversal front
I’m keeping it low and stable so the front fenders were chopped and flat ones are being fab’d.
A full rollcage was built also. Body and frame work patched and POR 15’d
Just some of the build. I’ll post more pics as soon as possible. Here’s some teasers

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
What did you end up doing with the tires that came with the wrangler? Is it a set of four or a set of five? I might be interested if you don't plan on using them again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts