Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this build thread for really anyone in my situation. I'm 17 and one of the youngest on the forum and I got a tight budget between school and only working part-time. It'll be a slow build to get it to where I want to be, but by no means do I want it to be perfect. I just want it to be a reliable daily driver that is capable of doing very basic offloading. I've got a ton of ideas to get started on. First, getting some rivet style fender flares (I'll put image of the ones I ordered) and Second I am looking to use Rustoleum rust prevent on the interior floor as a base layer then use Bed Liner over it. Those are the first of many many ideas that I have. The one item I put a lot of money into was my Kicker sound system that consists of an 8" subwoofer and two Versa-Pods. I'll keep you guys updated along the way as I add on to Yeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow that is a clean looking YJ, my 16 yr old son just put on 1" longer shackles on his and is waiting for a 1" body lift to keep the 31x10" tires from rubbing the fender flares down to nothing. Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day 1 - Sound System Is In

Yesterday I got home from school at around 3:00, called up my cousin and decided to take on the battle of installing my stereo system. We started off a little rocky with the Jeep unable to get started!!! :banghead: Ended up just being a lose battery terminal so I tightened it up and I was on my way.

I pulled Yeep into the garage and started bringing all of my stereo material out into the garage. When my cousin got here, we pulled the radio and to our luck, the P.O. had spliced the old harness so my plug and play harness was not going to be an option and after further analyzation, the whole radio system was homemade and boy was it a wreck!!! So after some thinking we decided our best bet was to remove the dash to see what we were dealing with, but when we got to a point where we could remove it, we saw that the bolts were absolutely rotted our and painted over so there was no way that we could get them out without a cutting wheel. So we too out the cutting wheel and cut every. Single. BOLT AND SCREW. Until we could get the dash off. Once we got that, we started puling the dash just enough for us to see what was really going on behind the scenes and it was bad. Live radio wires hanging and horrible splicing.

So we decided to rip it all out and start from scratch. So after a trip to best buy to buy 40 ft of wire (Just to be Safe), we finally got to work. The stereo took some time to splice but as soon as we got it plugged in it fired up right away with all the features compatible! Then we got to to wiring the speakers and we decided to mount them on top of the rear tire wells as you can see in the pictures below.

At this point all that was left was the subwoofer and at 9:00, we had been getting after it for 6 hours now and we were both mentally exhausted so we called it, leaving it to be completed on Saturday. I should have multiple pictures attached below, if you guys have any questions or anything let me know I would love to help!

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm right where you are with the nest of wires behind the dash. Started out as a stereo upgrade and ended up with me staring at wiring diagrams trying to figure out what wires were cut and added over the past 25 years. My issue was an old alarm system someone added...

What's your plan for replacing the rusted bolts holding the dash onto the tub?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm right where you are with the nest of wires behind the dash. Started out as a stereo upgrade and ended up with me staring at wiring diagrams trying to figure out what wires were cut and added over the past 25 years. My issue was an old alarm system someone added...

What's your plan for replacing the rusted bolts holding the dash onto the tub?
I'm planning on making a trip to Harbor Freight today and going to see if they have a bolt that is nearly exactly the same besides maybe the head. I'll keep you updated on how that goes. Also planning on putting my sub in today! :happyyes:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work so far! I'm planning on doing my interior this spring...good luck with your project!
I'm waiting for the warm weather as well! The weather is a mess up here in NE and I'm just waiting for a couple good days so I can get started on rust inhibiting and bedlining this floor!!! I want to make sure I do that before I put on my carpet and floor mats.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Amplifier Installed and Subwoofer In!

Last week I was able to install the subwoofer, amplifier, and center console! To my surprise there was no trouble at all! We drilled a hole in the firewall to the right side right in front of the driver and ran the power wire straight to the subwoofer which I conveniently mounted underneath the seat. The center console was a piece of cake! That screwed in with only two bolts and didn't cause any problems at all. The subwoofer sat in perfectly within the center console and I mounted my amplifier base control switch in the back of the Yeep. For once, everything went smoothly!!! The subwoofer is amazing and has a ton of power for a little 8"! I highly recommend any of Kickers speakers, they are all truly amazing. After hearing the sound system, I think I am going to add another set of speakers up front because it is almost as if the subwoofer is overpowering the Versa-Pods that I have installed already. You can't go wrong with more speakers!!!! :dance: Below, I have attached pictures of the interior after I installed everything. I also installed my entry guards yesterday, if you guys want pictures of those I can post them but they are nothing special, just protecting my paint from chipping off and it adds a little more of a rugged look! I am looking to tackle the fender flares very soon so stay toned for that!

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I ran the two speakers off the back of the radio, then I have the amp just for the sub. My radio can hold two more speakers though so I am going to make sure to do that and my amp could hold one more if I wanted to but I don't see the need as of right now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fender Flares are In!

Happy Belated Easter Everyone!

Yesterday, I decided to put on my fender flares and to my surprise they were very easy to do! I predrilled with a 5/32" bit and then simply screwed in the screws. It gave me zero trouble at all and it completely changed the look of Yeep! it really gave the aggressive look I wanted. I did accidentally crack both of the side marker lenses so I will have to replace those but those are dirt cheap so no problem there.

Next I have to tune my EMPI 32/36 Carburetor because my idling is rough to say the least. I am experiencing high idle speeds close to 3500 RPMs on occasion and when it's not idling high, its a rough low idle in the 600-400 RPM range where I need to hold my foot slightly on the accelerator in order to allow the engine to warm up without stalling out. Once the engine is completely warm then it is fine but getting to that point is frustrating!!! It sounds like I just need to tune it right? Let me know what you guys think, I want to end this problem for good so I never have to worry about it again.

I'm also getting the Yeep inspected this weekend, about time! I need to get a spare tire so I am going to the Jeep Junkyard near my house to try and grab a cheap tire to have so I can pass, and maybe I'll come home with some other things because I have no self control in these places :)

Let me know about the carburetor issue and I'll keep you guys updated through the build! Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Nice looking Jeep Lacy. Paint, doors, top, dashboard all seem to be in good shape which is a plus. Most of these jeeps dashboards get torn apart then never put back together. Doors handles often times don't work or the doors have been dropped denting the bottoms. Very impressive over all. Leaf springs appear to be a little flat but not sagging. The new fender flares look nice but now the tires look to be pushed in. Some wheel spacers would fix that or some bigger wider tires.

I'm not a fan of the stereo system because big stereos shake the crap out of everything causing more problems then they're typically worth. You did a good job installing everything though!

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Bangler Thanks for all the compliments and advice! I am definitely getting bigger wheels that is my next step i believe. BFG A/T are my choice. I'm planning on going 30" so that it keeps with the rugged look and my tires don't get lost under the Yeep. I'm keeping my eye out at the local Jeep Junkyard since I don't exactly have the necessary budget to spend 1500-2000K on tires! I am also lookin at the OldMan Emu 2.5" lift since my leaf springs are definitely flat. Just saving up the money to try and get what I want! Just gonna take some time but it'll get there soon!

You mind if I could see your '92 YJ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
@LightsOutLacy50 You can spend quite a bit less on new tires if you keep your old wheels. Go to TireRack.com and get some Yokohama M/T? Tires (I'll double check later), they are roughly $165 a piece and they are meaty, look great, and drive nice. Leaf springs and lift can happen anytime, your YJ looks damn good the way it sits now. Plus, I'm partial to stock height YJ's, they are just plain sexy.

My YJ isn't much a looker right now. She's being rebuilt with a $10k budget with a 5 year timeline. I'm only 1 year in with roughly $5k spent in parts so far. I added pictures from last year before winter. It looks better now but she needs a paint job. Perhaps next year.

I'll keep checking in on your build!

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Bangler with a 10K budged the amount of things you could do is endless for the most part! I just tuned my weber 32/36 today and had to unfreeze part of the linkage that was causing some high rev problems. Adjusted it all and it purrrrrs like a kitten! I'll definitely look into those tires you are talking about. What size are they? And I love my rims to death but the sad thing is my YJ only came with 4 of them :/ which is kind of annoying because I want them all to match! I almost bought a white YJ very similar to yours but found mine on Craigslist for $3200 with the fresh new paint job, full doors, half doors, soft top, hard top, and bikini top and I could not resist!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Damn that's a great deal you got on the YJ! What motor and how many miles does it have? The tires are YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T G015On-/Off-Road All-Terrain Size: 31X10.5R15LT $149 per tire from tirerack.com. They came on my XJ when I bought it; they drove nice in the snow and rain emitting very little road noise.

Of course you can spend a bit more on some mud terrain's or something more aggressive, just remember mud terrain tires wear quickly on tarmac requiring frequent tire rotations. I have the BFGoodrich M/T's on my JK, they look great, but wear is shit. They emit an amazing amount of road noise on the highway and require a 3 month rotation cycle. But they are great in the pits!

$10k seems like a big budget but it goes fast. Most of it so far went into the exhaust system ($1200) and the new 2017 OEM wrangler wheels and tires I got for it ($1600) Luckily I'm handy and doing the work myself. But I'm sure I'll have to raise the limit a few more times before I'm done lol.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got lucky again with my Jeep Wrangler! It had a brand new exhaust on it when I bought it. The guy I bought it from said that he was restoring it for his son as a birthday gift and the son said he didn't want it so he sold it mid rebuild so a lot was done to it! The kid ended up wanting a dodge charger near the same year as the wrangler or something but I would definitely take the YJ any day of the week.

As far as those tires @Bangler I love them! They look aggressive and as long as the tread lasts on the road then I am happy!

I installed new marker lights on the side of Yeep today since the other ones were really cracked. Super easy just unscrewed and replaced.

I took her out for a photo shoot today and I'll post the pictures in the thread! She's really coming along great. 2 days till inspection!!! Getting her done first thing tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Photo Shoot!!!

Here are the best shots I took of Yeep today! She's really coming along! I believe my next big purchase is going to be front and rear bumpers along with rocker guards. What do you guys think my next add-on should be?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts