Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im a newb, but i was curious if anyone had any thoughts of advice if i tried to tow a 2014 nissan juke on a car dolly with an 89 Wrangler with the straight 6 from Austin to Phoenix (pretty flat for the most part)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Tow rating that jeep is what? 2000 pounds max. What's the weight of the other vehicle? I looked it up the juke weighs almost 3000 pounds. So no. My advise would be either have it shipped, have a friend drive it, or pay someone to drive it. I would not no way no how ask a 26 year old vehicle to pull another vehicle the same weight on the roadways.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yeah no way I'd do it. Too heavy. Jeep is short wheelbase which can lead to instability and it lacks brakes powerful enough to stop that heavy a load in a reasonable amount of time. Might be cheap enough to rent a U-haul with a tow hitch or something.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
If you take your jeep to U-Haul and try to rent a trailer they would tell you no.

If you went there and asked to rent a tow dolly they'd just shoot you. :)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You can go on the UHaul website and input the tow vehicle and the vehicle you plan to tow and it will give you a quick definitive answer , more than likely no. I understand it is their policy not to rent anything to be towed with a soft top 2 door Wrangler

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I think the Max to tow with a YJ is 1500# not 2000#, but that may be just what it says for my 1990 4.2 Auto.
If all steering and breaks are Perfect!

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Here's the deal, a man with honor and integrity goes out of his way to protect the people around him. Especially those that can not protect themselves. That includes not doing something questionable that may hurt that lady jogging down the road, or the kids in the car next to you. The prospect is already questionable and discussed on an open forum. The consenses is no. So now what happens if you ignore the owners manual. And our advise on an open forum? And something happens? Even a pathetic excuse of I didn't know it would be unsafe is out the window as your sitting in court trying to look into the eyes of possible victims. This isn't directed at the OP personally. But to anyone who comes along and reads this later and goes yeah but my jeep is awesome. And it's flat road, and I have the worlds best brakes . And any other excuse you can come up with to tow something outside of the capabilities of the jeep. Getting it done properly is cheaper than the alternative even if it doesn't seem like it at first. Just don't try it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Here's the deal, a man with honor and integrity goes out of his way to protect the people around him. Especially those that can not protect themselves. That includes not doing something questionable that may hurt that lady jogging down the road, or the kids in the car next to you. The prospect is already questionable and discussed on an open forum. The consenses is no. So now what happens if you ignore the owners manual. And our advise on an open forum? And something happens? Even a pathetic excuse of I didn't know it would be unsafe is out the window as your sitting in court trying to look into the eyes of possible victims. This isn't directed at the OP personally. But to anyone who comes along and reads this later and goes yeah but my jeep is awesome. And it's flat road, and I have the worlds best brakes . And any other excuse you can come up with to tow something outside of the capabilities of the jeep. Getting it done properly is cheaper than the alternative even if it doesn't seem like it at first. Just don't try it.
Bravo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts