Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! I bought my first Jeep a little over a month ago now after looking for quite some time. The time was right as my 2 boys are old enough to help with the mods and upgrades. I rebuilt a 57 Buick Special with my dad when I was a teen, and it was time to carry on/restart the tradition. Plus, I wanted something to teach them both how to drive a stick - a lost art nowadays.

This site has been a great help as I look for ideas/products/pictures/etc to help with ideas. The encouragement and enthusiasm shared by Jeep owners is contagious! I wanted to post what I have done and continue to do. We have worked on the Jeep almost daily since getting it and will post a bunch of pics. Any feedback/suggestions/advice/etc are greatly appreciated. This is new to me, and I have been loving it, as have my boys. I also have my brother in law down the street, who is a great mechanic so he has been a great help! I look forward to sharing the build with my boys and the site!

Below are the first pics I took of the exterior. Overall in good shape, needs refreshing, but since we want to tool around off road that was not a priority at this point. The PO had rebuilt the 4.2L motor and transmission. So she ran great from the beginning. About 200 miles on rebuild. Jeep around 160K miles. So here she is...I love the stance...33x12.5x15 tires (which do need replacing asap), lifted looks like at least 4"....enjoy

The inside was in rough shape and that is what most of the efforts have been/will be focused on at this point. I hope you all enjoy this thread and it helps some as this site has helped me!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kind words! Hope everyone enjoys this thread.

Alright, so here is/was (some stuff has been done) plan for the YJ:

No rear seat belts at all. A priority since my boys will be riding with me; new bolts and seat belts

Original rear seat - rough shape. Will be replaced

Front seats were replaced by PO, but not set up right and one of the tracks was destroyed so that will need replacing; going to replace 25 y.o. front seat belts and bolts too

While I am at it, I will strip inside and Monstaline the inside. A lot research done on this site about rhinoliner, herculiner, etc. Seems like the general consensus was Monstaliner for my desire and to be able to roll on. I will do black floor and green wheel wells and....not sure how much/far I will do on that

New steering wheel - most likely a quick release set up so I can just park Jeep, remove wheel and not worry about it. Plus, it looks cool.

New shift knobs and transfer cover piece

Fix up half doors; add mirrors since there were none

Clean up/fix dash, gauges, lights

Glove box in bad shape, but pieces there. Paint and repair

Strike plate pins were about halfway eaten through, so replacing them

The body was in amazing shape overall. The only real issue was the driver side floor pan, which had been bondo'd some and there was a rust hole. Easiest fix to get new floor pan and weld over old.

Some things maybe for later??? - middle console/cupholder/storage
Replace some of the worn out little pieces with new blacked out ones

Definitely a sound system - there is nothing there, and I have convinced all necessary parties that this would make a great Father's Day present!

Will need new tires

I think that about covers most of what I am looking at. As I read more posts, I get more ideas though. That, and seeing other Jeeps and talking with my brother in law means the list goes on and on....

Here are some more original pics (will be a couple of posts):

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some more pictures...this is using up the storage limit. The FAQ's say I can set up an album? But I don't see that link. Anyway to save pictures online somewhere and link the URL? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First steps...

I read so many posts about removing the old Torx bolts on the old seat belts.

There are 3 for the rear, and 4 for each front seat belt (2 in the roll bar and 2 on the floor). They are all T-50. I went through 6 bits to get these things out. I even snapped a hardened bit. WOW! What a pain....nobody was exaggerating saying how hard they were to get out and how easy they were to strip. Wound up only having to drill one out, but the other ones took a few days of soaking and resoaking with PB Blaster and 2 required a heat gun. But they all came out. I was getting the entire interior to "base" and then getting it prepped for the Monstaliner.

As can be seen from the photos above, the body itself was in very good shape. There were some rough spots, but not too bad. The only really bad section was the driver floor pan. That was rusted through.

When I ordered the Monstaliner I got a free quart of their Chassis Saver, so I used that on any rust spots that I was going to cover, no matter how slight. I totally covered the driver side floor pan inside and from the underside, and was going to weld in a new floor pan.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Monstaliner

I wanted to keep the color scheme and just do it in a way that made it "pop". So I tried to keep the lines close to how they were with a little tweaking. I did the black one weekend. Let it cure over the week. And did the green the next weekend. Since I had to tape over the black to do the green and keep things neat, I wanted to be sure it was fully cured, and that I had no issues with anything happening to the black. I also lightly misted the liner with a spray water bottle about 24 hours after the 2nd coat. I followed the Monstaliner instructions to a "T" and found them excellent and a great product to work with. I also referenced several threads - which were super helpful so thanks to these guys!

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/monstaliner-project-99399.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/monstaliner-install-107423.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f362/freshly-monstalined-625978.html

and I am sure there were others.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Prep

Prep did take a while. A long while. MEK, scrap, vacuum, power wash, MEK, scrap, MEK. I probably had to do more scraping than most because there were remnants of some sort of liner. Every time I would think I was done, there would be a loose piece. Once all that was done, I scuffed/sanded and final MEK'd.

Great tips I stole from others - golf tees in the small holes; moldable ear plugs in the larger holes. Great great ideas.

Also, wear good gloves. The Monstaliner sticks to whatever it touches. Including hair on my legs when I wore shorts...not fun taking that off.

I did this in a closed garage and wore eye protection and a mask. The MEK was powerful stuff, the Monstaliner had an odor, but not too strong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts