Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I finally got all of the vacuum lines done as well. The best way to go about it was starting at ones side and just tracing, 1 by 1. The 4 wheel drive vacuum system really threw me for a loop. I found this to be the best drawing for it. The red line goes into the intake manifold.

Also the 4wd light doesnt come on (for me at least) until i am in 4wd, in 1st gear.

Finally got to test out the 4wd today too. Fun and worked great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Funny how the small jobs turn into the big ones.

From the start of this build I have only had one speaker. The drivers side one was missing. I had ordered some pioneers and got ambitious to install them. All of the bolts for the dash and the roll bar came out fine except for one. at the top left of the windshield.
PO seemed to have stripped and then tried to drill unsuccessfully.

Took an hour to get this out.

Got the windshield down and got the many bolts out. Had to drill another one in the center of the dash.

Dash really wasnt that rusted. Kind of just surface rust.
Found some freebies in the defrost vents.

Took the time to sand and paint the surface rust on the dash frame.

The old speaker was wired up with duct tape.

And now for the bad. When we folded down the windshield it did turn where it should have. We realized this when we folded back and the windshield was no longer attached!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
So after many drilled bolts....

Windshield is back in. I found it was easier just to drill out all the lower hing bolts. Really not that big of a deal since all of the lower hinge bolts are nuts on studs, instead of threaded inserts. Plus the body/seam caulk is such a pain in the ass to get off the nuts its not worth it. Definitely have to take the dash out to do it.

I took the opportunity to replace all the screws holding in the dash portion under the windshield with stainless and also to replace the lower windshield seal.

The rust wasn't horrible, but was more than i was expecting. Sanded and painted with rust inhibitor.

Got the new hinges in and reassembled. Looks good. Glad I went with the more expensive powder coated hinges. really looks good and holes line up perfectly. Would note that if you are doing windshield hinges two things.

1. On the upper hinge, the FRONT facing bolts, go into a metal plate that is loose in the windshield frame. When you unscrew, the plate will fall loose in the frame. I recommend getting a long stud with no head to screw in as a place setter so you can pull it back up. The side holes are threaded inserts and not a problem.
2. If you attach the upper hinges as I did, the holes will not line up unless the windshield is in a folded position.

Learned a lot on this one. Definitely the hardest part so far.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So I am struggling with the idle on this vehicle. It wanted to sit super high after warm up. like 1700 rpm. Really every sensor had been replaced except the 02 sensor. I confirmed no vacuum leaks and no intake leak. I installed the new 02 sensor and it was way down. 700 rpm at start up. Eureka!

Here's were my afternoon went confusing. I have also been experiencing a long crank start sometimes and I thought it might have been a ground issue.

Decided to go on a short test drive and see how it drove with the new 02 sensor. I went one court over and it start chugging low idle dropping out and then stalled. NO START UP. NO CRANK.

Turns out I ran out of gas and the starter quit at the same time. I still haven't got the fuel gauge working and didn't pay close enough attention to where I was with fuel.

Interesting afternoon. Did a starter in the road. Started raining too....

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.