Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1989 Jeep Wrangler. I was told the clutch slave needed to be replaced. I took it to my mechanic, along with a clutch slave from Autozone. My mechanice told me 10 minutes after installing it, it started leaking again. He said he hates after market slaves. Could a new clutch slave actually start leaking that fast or maybe the mechanic did something wrong? Thanks in advance for any help....

·
Registered
853 Posts
GeorgeI said:
I recently bought a 1989 Jeep Wrangler. I was told the clutch slave needed to be replaced. I took it to my mechanic, along with a clutch slave from Autozone. My mechanice told me 10 minutes after installing it, it started leaking again. He said he hates after market slaves. Could a new clutch slave actually start leaking that fast or maybe the mechanic did something wrong? Thanks in advance for any help....
I heard you're better off changing the pair in whole along with the line 'coz they end up leaking after all. Haven't had a chance to toy with it myself but when the time comes I'll replace the whole yhing

·
Registered
73 Posts
60mg - pair of what? Are you talking about the rubber washer seal things? that would be my guess too. Make sure he puts two new ones in, for each line.

to the OP - My guess would be he didnt get the clutch fluid lines were not fully seated and sealed, its relatively straight forward, but not the easiest thing to do. there is a pin that holds the line in place rather then a threaded connection. Also, he may not have used both of the rubber washers to seal the line.

·
Registered
853 Posts
bigdog9801 said:
60mg - pair of what? ...
I'm talking about the master / slave group in whole.

·
Registered
760 Posts
If your mechanic cut the straps on the slave, he did something wrong. They break on their own the first time you engage the clutch after it is mounted. You can tell him it isn't just the aftermarket slaves that suck. My OEM that was factory installed died within 50,000 miles. My replacement has been in there for 150,000 miles with no issues yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts