Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm new here, and posted this in the tj forum to start, then someone directed me here, so this is basically a repost to a different category. Anyways, I am looking at buying a 1994 wrangler from an ad I saw on Craigslist. I took it out for a test ride last night, and saw, or rather heard, some things that made me scratch my head. One problem was when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd the gears ground. I'm not sure if I was shifting too hard or what, but it definitely wasn't a full on no clutch grinding, but kind of soft bumping (my truck does this when it is not fully in gear). The guy said it was the syncros (he replaced quite a bit in the transmition in the last month or so) and they just haven't had time to mesh together. Is this true? When will the grinding/bumping stop, if it ever does? Will it suck mass amounts of money from my wallet(Just Empty Every Pocket)? One other thing I noticed was a very light ticking sound. Is this common? What could it be? Is it a possible issue (I know they are notorious for noises)?
Thanks!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Ticking could be anything from lifters to exhaust leaks. I can't speak to the grinding. As I've never heard of synchros needing a break-in period.

Buy worst case if you had to end up swapping the trans you can grab a used one off Craig's for less than $500.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the transmission something I could do at home, or will I need to have a mechanic work on it? I am trying to save my money (I'm 16, at school, and planing to get a job this summer). He wants $6500 for it right now, but I'm hoping he will go down to $6000. Is this a good deal BTW? It comes with a hard top, full doors, soft top, half doors, bikini top, 4" lift, 33" tires, and shorty bumper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts