Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my motor clatters when it get warmed up. Especially in a head wind. Can new pushrods and rocker arms fix it ?? I have 157,000 miles. Engine has great compression, 128-132 psi, runs good just make a lot of noise under a load ?????? any Idea's ?????

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Have you tried changing the type of oil you use??? If it is the rockers and pushrods it may help but all these engines seem to rattle a little.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My 4.2 clatters a lot too. It's been bugging me a lot. Yesterday I was investigating and I think its the mechanical fuel pump. Anyone out there with a lot o racket coming from the pump? Mine appears to be newer so I don't think it's bad but I suppose it could be.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 92 2.5L that clatters like a MFer. In pretty sure it is the timing chain from my research. Don't know if the 4.2 are similar but it's worth a thought

·
Registered
24 Posts
hot engine clatter

I may be nuts but if it is clattering when it warms up and under load it could possibly be wrist pin wear. I remember a chevy my friend had that did that but it clattered and ran for years. So I'm just saying it may not be push rods or rockers. Do you know a good tech that can isolate the noise? Thats where I would start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the 2.5 and 4.2 use the same timing cover and chain, the stock timing gears have plastic teeth, my 89 had about 158000 mile I though it was a rod bearing till I got in it.I took the chain off with out removing the gear it had almost made a hole in the timing cover from the chain hitting it,everthing else had normal wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts