Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need SMOG help. What to do next? Was thinking MAP sensor maybe is failing.

• New cat last year
  • Stock Carb - I know this is an issue
  • New o2 sensor last year
  • Timing is around 12 BTDC

Running rich. I think limit on CO is 25
Here are the results
HC 6.9355
CO 36.5787
CO2 464.1139
NOX 0.1090

·
Super Moderator
14,299 Posts
Remove your air cleaner and you will find this metal cover on the top front of your carb. (See pic). Called a bowl vent.
Once you have it off (sorry, no pic) you will find a small allen head screw. This adjusts the metering rods. Back it off one turn and replace the cover. That should lean it out a bit. Other posters may have other/better suggestions.

How does the Jeep idle? If it doesn't idle well, search....
Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem

National Carburetors has very well rebuilt carburetors for $160.00 plus refundable core charge. I bought a non-stepper carb from them and am quite pleased. They even set it up for 5000 feet altitude.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tuned my carb via vacuum gauge and discovered I had a venturi drip making it rich. Lots to consider but check timing, see if your high altitude jumper is set, vacuum leaks, wrongly connected vacuum lines. Check vapor canister function too. Before I rebuilt my 88 failed big time. Lots of blow by, roll over check valve leaking, wrongly connected vacuum lines, bad vapor canister, intake leak, EGR valve fubar and clogged. I had G&S auto in Littleton machine my block and crank they were spot on. Now my brand new slave cylinder is leaking, not cool!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info I will check.
Idle seems good and when hooked up to the sniffer it reads great but when they drive it on the dyno seems to be the problem. They just hammer it like it is a race car.

I have tried to find replacement vapor canister but nothing? I thought that could be it because it smelled rich under the water bottle. Any suggestions where to get one?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Carefully check for dripping fuel coming out of venturi at high rpm. Careful not to burn your face off! Mine failed at high speed and gushing fuel out of one side explained that. Became rich from gas pouring into manifold. There is a hose to pinch on the vapor canister that causes change in rpm. I forget which one to pinch. I crossed the number and found one at Summit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Double check the EGR because that kicks in at high rpm IIRC, if clogged or not working engine does not burn off excess vapor via recycling.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. For the help. I cleaned the carb reallly good and was able to pass. Still strong smell from evap canister. Cannot find one except ebay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts