Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ignition switch turned on and engine not cranked should electric fuel pump run constantly or should pressure build up and pump cut off?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
When ignition switch turned on and engine not cranked should electric fuel pump run constantly or should pressure build up and pump cut off?
i'm not quite the best to answer but, I have a 1995 2.5 liter fuel injected.. The fuel pump kicks on for about 2 seconds then shuts off if I don't start it.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Correct should shut off quickly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ owner

Our fuel pump is located on the frame under the drivers seat,
Very noisy. Never turns off. Doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Someone has added the electric fuel pump. Thats why its under the seat. An electric fuel pump is made to push fuel so it is best to be as close to the tank as possible. If you have a fuel return line your pump will run all of the time. It is usually good not to deadhead the pump and keep a return line but it should be restricted. I know that some vehicles have the electric fuel pump tied in with the oil pressuse sending unit. As a safety they only pump for a few seconds without oil pressure. That way in a crash the fuel pump wont continue to run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what we have seen online the original pump appears to have been located in the tank along with the sending unit. Is that correct for this model year?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
From what we have seen online the original pump appears to have been located in the tank along with the sending unit. Is that correct for this model year?
no, the pump is on the passenger side of the motor on the 4.2. the 4.0 and 2.5 with fuel injection are in the tank.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yep 1990 4.2 (stock) was still an engine mounted mechanical pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts