Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my second jeep build, and I plan on putting it together through the long NY winter. As most of you know... we get rust.. bad. But this yj is pretty solid especially for up here. This won't be a budget build but it won't be extravagant either. I got it as a semi basket case from someone with health issues (he was very upset to see it go I almost didn't want to take it) I just put the trans back in with a new clutch and have changed all the fluids. Once I get the boring U joints, rust patched etc I can get to the fun stuff :)

It's a 4.2 with the stock carb however I have a mc2100 I'm going to swap in once I get everything together. I also have a set of 4:10 geared axles to swap in and I plan on putting an 8.8 rear in possibly next winter.

I plan on primarily plan on using it for cruising around and for my mild trails I have on my beautiful land in upstate NY.

As of right now it hasn't ran since 2011 but I recently started it for a few minutes after I got the trans in.

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
vidmeup :: First breath

Quick clip of me and my buddy turning it over for the first time. No exhaust, straight off the manifold. Turned right over and seems to idle good. But it's not getting any gas so it was running straight off ether.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at buying a 1991 in similar condition. Going to work on it during the long winter of Ohio.
Good luck! Make sure to put up a build thread ??

·
Registered
40 Posts
I look forward to following your build. I picked up my first jeep a few months ago. I was so excited that I overlooked how bad the frame really was. I will be getting a better frame and swapping everything to it. At least I will know that it is done right and now I know what to look for when buying a Jeep!

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered these bad boys today for a steal! Micky Thompson Degan 38s
33 12.50 15 shipped to the house for $729 off ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was an issue with the tires I ordered... So I had to order a different set. I ended up with the Dick Cepek Extreme Countries still happy

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was in the process of putting my mc2100 in today and my gas gauge has been reading 1/4 tank but the fuel pump wasn't giving me any fuel, but i felt light air movement coming from the fuel line so I was assuming the pump worked. So thinking maybe the fuel guage was lying to me I added some and then this happened :atomic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ-l069BLFw

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excellent tires! The very same buy.I was delighted. Excellent grip, smooth action. My baby (my Jeep)))))))) looks great with these tires.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent tires! The very same buy.I was delighted. Excellent grip, smooth action. My baby (my Jeep)))))))) looks great with these tires.
I ordered them yesterday afternoon and they were here today at 1! Pretty crazy and they look great.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my mc2100 in today (partially) I've had very limited time lately between school and work. Class from 9-3 work 6-12 but I can be on my computer at work so I'm tortured to sit here and stare at jeep stuff :pc-ouch: I was having an issue getting the gas line into the bowl, should their be a check valve screwed into the bowl on the end of the fuel line like the carter carb?

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hehe just got an early Christmas present, HEI dizzy from Summit.

Sorry no updates lately, just fished up finals so I have more time now. I just put the new oil pan on (other one had pin hole leaks) and when I get my new gas tank straps from quadratec I'll be putting that up in (it had a mysterious hole in it)

Should be putting in the lift next week and tires!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also picked up this gem on eBay for $10! I just had to. It's in mint condition. it's a pre 1974 Randix 23 channel CB made right here by me in Albany NY. The nostalgia and the PA horn button did it for me.

I have an amplified police PA horn and it's just dying to be hooked up to it so I can "holla at them fine ass honeys" walking down the sidewalk in the ol YJ :rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: I've got the HEI in and it's running good. I'll fine tune the timing when I get the air cleaner and exhaust on.

Got the axles re lubed, painted and serviced they will be sliding under while I'm doing the lift.

And tires mounted on the pro comp wheels 3.75 BS

Attachments

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up an entire new interior, no rips or tears on the seats they look brand new and half doors without a scratch, ding or rust bubble $100 for the lot at the junkyard!

It has a brand new bestop soft top on it with the half door uppers they're asking $200 for it, the whole deal. Do I go back tomorrow and get it? I currently have a hard top only.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LONG overdue update.

So I've been very busy at the jeep work I just have not been posting. I wish I've took a few more pictures throught this but I have a few.

Things I've done
HEI in and set 10* BTDC

ALL new brake lines and brake hardware

Mc2100 in and throttle linkage made

All new exhaust, with magnaflow stainless muffler

Lift is in and new tires 4.5 inch lift 33" tires

Made a clutch line and bled it

Along with other miscellaneous things that I'm forgetting.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some pictures, when I "finish" the build I will do the small amount of body work needed and paint it one of the stock yj colors "moss green pearl"

ForumRunner_20160405_001220.jpg

ForumRunner_20160405_001239.jpg

ForumRunner_20160405_001250.jpg

Sorry about the mess haha you know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts