Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What is the best Engine swap for a YJ

• Chevy V8 Natural Aspiration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chevy V8 TBI

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Chevy V8 Multi-port

• Cherokee 6 cyl

• Wrangler straight 6 Cyl

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • JK penastar 6cyl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot of post about swapping the 2.5L for the 258 or a chevy V8, but has anyone done a swap from a JK penastar V6? I was thinking about it because I can get a wrecked one pretty cheap around where I live. This way I can swap engine, tranny, TC and ECM.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
WAY too much work for what you get

IMHO a dodge 5.2 would be the way to go

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would stick with what could have been naturally in it and parts can swap fairly easily between years and models. I swapped a 302 into a 1984 Ford Ranger (little truck) and I only had to buy one aftermarket part and that was the frame mounts because everything had to move forward. Otherwise, the parts were junkyard finds for exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, and other miscellaneous pieces. I had maybe $400 in the install, which included the engine and transmission and $200 in the exhaust system.

I won't be able to that again I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
From a 2.5l, any swap is difficult. The 89 2.5 especially because your engine harness cannot be converted to the 91 and later 4.0l engine. The JK pentastar is not worth the swap. Wrangler or cherokee 4.0l, gm 350, dodge v8 would all require engine mounts, wiring, adapters, and a ton of work in general. I'm putting in a TBI 350 because that is a very simple motor for me and I really like the chevy transmission options. Still by the time the swap is done, I'll be $2500-3000 in the hole for just the swap.

My advice is maybe consider buying a wrangler with a 4.0l already in it. Swapping lifts and all the upgrades and selling the 2.5l off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts