Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1990 YJ - Cracked Frame, Advice Please

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  vmxwinn 
#1 ·
So a crack in my frame as been observed and located. See photos please. Is this something that can be fixed? If so, Will a patch or weld fix this? What are my options and estimate costs. Very much appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It looks like it's been half-assed patched in the past. IRQ suggests Safety Caps. I concur. Cut away the mess back to sound metal and weld in a new piece. If you have a welder and can weld, the cost is what the part costs and your time. It looks like the part is $169.00 (+ tax & shipping).
A shop might charge $250.00-$500.00 with you supplying the part. I'd be more concerned about finding a quality shop that would guarantee the job, rather than the price. There are things that it's OK to look for a bargain, but for me, a vehicle frame isn't one of them. I'd try to find a shop that's familiar with 4X4 vehicles. An frame and alignment shop should be able to easily handle the job. (Not a tire shop alignment shop, but a real frame and alignment shop).
Some welders do "side work" at their home. If you know someone that you trust, that might be the least expensive option.
You can paint it yourself once the shop does the job if you want to save a few bucks.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: ‘90 YJ Wrangler
#5 ·
Hate to say it but your frame is already been patch repaired and still has a big rust hole through the bottom of it. I’m sure there is more rust issues else where on it as well. If you really like your jeep and it is in really great shape otherwise I would suggest a new frame. Used west coast frame, J&W Jeep wreckers or new throttledown kustoms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.