Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been around for a while, but never took the time to sign up and post on the forum. I come here quite a bit to look at what's happening and one of my favorite thing is to see what others are doing to their rigs and follow the build threads to see the progress, so I decided to share my project with you and hopefully entertain others as much as they've entertained me. First, let me start with a bit of background on this build.

I've always wanted to get my hands on a older vehicle to do a restoration project, but never quite had the time, space or money to get it done... until now that is. I finally manged to get my ducks in a row a few months ago, and I started looking around for a good project vehicle. I never did anything like this before, so I was looking for something that was relatively easy to work with. I also wanted something that was not going to force me to buy everything new or send me hunting for used parts all over the place.

I like 4x4s, I have been wheeling for over a decade and I also was bit pretty bad by the "open air" bug this summer after I bought my first motorcycle... so it became pretty obvious I wouldn't be happy unless I started rebuilding a convertible. My thoughts went like this: 4x4 vehicle + easily available parts + easy to work on + convertible = Jeep Wrangler, so the hunt began for a decent unit that wasn't too expansive. I saw a few I liked, but there was always something wrong with them. Most were way overpriced, and if the price was right the body was beaten to death, it had a quadrillion miles on it or it was completely eaten out by rust. I didn't want to spend a fortune buying it knowing that I was going to tear it all apart and rebuild it, so I kept on looking.

After a few months of looking around (and after a few deals fell through) I came up on a decent 1990 Jeep YJ with 214k kms (133k miles) on it. It had been sitting for about two years due to an engine failure, but the body and frame showed almost no rust and it came with full doors and a hardtop as a bonus(for the long winters we get up here...). The only owner was an older lady who bought the jeep new in 1991 and used it as a daily driver for 16 years, before upgrading to a Nissan Xterra. It was completely stock (except for aftermarket rims and a newer CD headunit) and never been taken offroad or involved in an accident. I didn't really care much for the defective engine since it was only a 4 banger (and it obviously will be replaced by something with a bit more "punch") so I brought it home.

Here it is, sitting on the trailer about a month ago, ready to come home:

And then sitting in the shop, ready to be dismantled:

The broken angry squirrel:

I started cleaning it up almost on the spot, and made a few interesting discoveries in the glove box. Not only did she keep all the service records organized by date in a binder, but she also kept what looks like all the gas receipts and even the original bill of sale in there as well!

I started by gutting the interior to see what shape the tub was in.

After I cleaned off the 20+ years of dirt and goop, I realized that this Jeep is in far better shape that I thought! The tub only has minor surface rust in the front floor pans (and almost nothing on the passenger side) the rest is pretty much like new!

Even the outside is in very good shape for a 22 year old vehicle.

Once rolled back into the shop, the rest of the interior came out of the tub.

Then the front clip came off, followed by the tub.

And that's where it's sitting right now...

I should specify that the purpose of this project isn't necessarily to build a top class offraod rig, but rather something that will be as happy on the road as it will on mild trails. I have a sneaking suspicion that once I'm done restoring it, I will have way too much coin invested in this project to just go and beat the snot out of it on the trails... I guess that will have to be another project, once this one is done.

I will do my best to keep this thread up to date, and I will surely need advice at some point in this project... so feel free to share your thoughts and give suggestions. For those wondering, I named this the "Mr. Hyde project" because I'm sure it will turn out to be much bigger (and tougher) than anticipated...

:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looks like a nice start. I got my newest Wrangler back in the spring. It's a 92 Sahara. I also found the original bill of sale. Was just over 17k back in 92. Glad I only paid 1800 for it. My frame needed some work.(along with most of the body) Hows yours look? I use mine as a daily driver. Love driving it. This is my 8th jeep. and my newest. Welcome and have fun. It's a never ending story. (Just ask my wife.)

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Quite the project and it is coming along great keep it up looks like some real fun!! Yes I am addicted too!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
This gives me alot of inspiration, I'm just getting started on my yj. I hope this project gives you as much fun as I am having.Good luck & posts where great!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good comments guys! I'm having a blast working on it so far... but I'm still in the "easy" part of the project. Putting it back together is where the challenge will be... :)

My frame needed some work.(along with most of the body) Hows yours look?
The frame looks pretty good actually. There is a little bit of surface rust, but no rotting cancer anywhere. The worst part of the body is by far the bottom of the passenger side front fender... but that should be an easy fix. I'll just cut out the bottom 5-6 inches and weld new metal in its place...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts