Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1991 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L Engine Starter Problems, I turn on the ignition key and turn to start all I get is a click coming from starter. I put on a new starter on and it still clicks so I clean the battery cables and it still clicks. I have headlights, horn and turn signals. Checked fuses they are ok. I don't know where to go from here.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Starter solenoid or starter relay?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1991 2.5L Jeep Wrangler.

1991 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L Engine Starter Problems, I turn on the ignition key and turn to start all I get is a click coming from starter. I put on a new starter on and it still clicks so I clean the battery cables and it still clicks. I have headlights, horn and turn signals. Checked fuses they are ok. I don't know where to go from here.
The old starter was working OK I had no issues with starter not turning engine over, I stop at a store and shut the Jeep off, when I came out of store to leave, the Jeep would not start, I turn the ignition key all I got was a click. I called a tow truck to get the battery jumped, the jeep done the clicking sound when jumping battery so that didn't help to jump the battery. I took a screw driver and tried jumping starter solenoid the starter would not turn over jumping across contacts on the starter. the tow truck pushed me backwards and I pop the clutch and it started right away. I got home parked Jeep in the garage and shut it off and tried starting Jeep again and it would not started. I took off the starter and put on a brand new starter and then turning the ignition to started still have the click.

·
Registered
2002 TJ. 4.0 ltr. 5.5 RE long arm lift, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, Teraflex S/T disconnect,
513 Posts
Did you try starting with the lights on to see if the lights get real dim or stay the same brightness? ??
And do the lights look like they are at normal brightness now.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bad ground somewhere. One of the big ones. Engine block to battery, body to engine..one of the big ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The headlights stay bright as you turn the ignition key to engage starter, but I have cell phone charger in my cigarette lighter with a light on it and the light shuts down when you turn ignition key to start.

·
Registered
2002 TJ. 4.0 ltr. 5.5 RE long arm lift, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, Teraflex S/T disconnect,
513 Posts
Does one of your battery cables have a fusible link. If so check that. I'll look in my manual after work and see what it says.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bad ground! Oh wait…I already said that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has a fusible link on the small terminal that is on the starter, the wire runs up to the fuse block on the right front fender it goes to the relay marked starter then their is another wire coming out of same terminal going back down the wiring loom. Fusible link looks back and made of plastic snaps together, unsnap it it has a small wire inside and a small hole on the other side it is white inside. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Like beer belly says..check your grounds

·
Registered
513 Posts
When you push start it and let it run for a while and drive it does alternator charge and everything electrical seems to be working good

1 - 12 of 12 Posts