Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew my 4.0 in my 1991 wrangler. Driving wise (I don't drive it anymore just when it started) it performed fine but just had a loud knocking sound. I assume I am bending one of my pushrods or something along those lines. I was either going to rebuild it or look for another one to swap. What is the compatibility with the 1991 4.0 and the 5 speed manual transmission? What years 4.0's will drop right in? Also what transmissions can I do this with? My '91 does not have the external slave cylinder, and newer ones do which is what I would look for. What years will bolt right up to the 4.0's that fit my 91? Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pretty much any 4.0 will bolt up and any tranny offered with it. There are small differences and changes but anything can be adapted to work

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I think I would try to find out what is wrong with your engine first, if it is a push rod that's nothing to fix, if you mean a rod knock then that's a bigger deal. How many miles on it? Did it run well before the knock? I guess I'd want to know why you want to change the engine for just a knock if it's just a push rod. Just trying to help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.