Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual 1991 Jeep Wrangler YJ that has a broken ignition turner. As a little bit of background, I was messing around with my Jeep this past summer and accidentally broke the metal piece that the key goes into (the two extruding metal pieces to help turn the ignition). Now after a couple of months of use, the key is starting to bend and is about to break.

What should I do? Please note that I only use this Jeep for off-roading in the summer so any idea is appreciated.

I was thinking of getting a cheap push-start (I can still turn the key into the “on position” where the lights and everything work OK, but the pressure needed to turn the car over is too much for the key to handle.) Would that work? If so, can someone forward me a website where I can find a cheap one and potentially instructions on how to wire it?

Hotwire it everytime?

Thanks,

JP

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just go to the auto parts store and buy a new lock cylinder and install, it will come with a new key, so if you have door locks you'll have one key for them and one for the ignition. Unless you want to replace all the locks that are keyed the same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts