Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a 2003 chevy 5.3l with 120,000 on it ready for a drop in for $750 an.d I'm searching for the best options for motor mounts. I haven't completely decided between a 4l60e or an nv3550 from a jeep. I would like to keep all my gauges so I know I need my mechanical transfer. but the adapter for the transfer to tranny cost as much as the engine. just to pricey so looking for theories on that as well. its going into a 1991 jeep wrangler s 2.5l ax5 thanks for advice in advance. I'm wanting to keep this to a budget and will be doing the labor myself.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got the 5.3 in the garage yesterday. waiting to find a deal on a 4l60e, looking to buy the motor mounts today. cant decide between advanced adapters or novaks. and suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I built my own motor mounts. Shop around, you do not have to buy directly from Advanced. Check Simmit Racing and Jegs, they sell them also.

Awhile back I bought my Advanced headers from Summit, I think I got them in 2 days with free delivery AND about $100 cheaper than buying from Advanced.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 5.3 came from an 03 Tahoe it's the flex fuel. I grabbed the pedal with it too but I don't see how the pedal is suppose to mount without it protruding out to far

·
Registered
848 Posts
I used Novak engine mounts. I liked the adjust ability that they provided.

You should plan to use the 5.3 engine harness and ECM and determine which sensors on the engine go to gauges versus the ECM. The oil pressure, voltage, and water temperature should be easy to splice into the original Jeep wiring. The tachometer requires an adapter that translates the signal or you need to change out the head unit.

If the 5.3 engine harness and ECM are not available I would start looking for them unless you want to go with a custom made harness from Painless (still need the ECM).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the stock harness for the 5.3 and the computer and the pedal. I sold my old 2.5l but kept the computer and complete harness off it because I wasn't sure if I needed it. Do I need it? If not im going to send it to the guy I sold the engine to.

·
Registered
848 Posts
You don't need the computer for the 2.5l.

The harness is a little bit harder to say because you will want to interface the 5.3 harness and the 2.5l harness for connections that go from the engine to the interior such as the ignition switch, gauges, etc. You can probably not use the 2.5l harness but until you know I would hang on to it.

You will need a good wiring diagram for the 5.3 and the Jeep. I have the full service manual for the '92 and it probably is close enough to the '91 that I can provide selected information if you need it. Timing can be a problem as I travel a lot so when you need wiring information it may take some time for me to get it to you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't sure. I figured I didn't need the old computer but didn't wanna let it get yet until I was certain. The 5.3l harness is a work in progress. The truck I got it from has a bad power steering line so the lower harness is a hot mess. Got the advance adapter mounts in today. Bolted those on the block and they cleared the manifold. I don't think the manifolds will clear the frame though. But I have spare 05 gto manifolds that I am hoping will work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Came across a 80e for free. It shifts just doesn't go in gear all the time. Anyone have an idea if the hybrid between the s10 transfer and my transfer will still bolt up to it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I ended up just getting a good deal on a 60e didn't wanna rewire for another transmission. Got the motor mounts chopped off the jeep. The ls is ready to be set but I still need a transfer case. I can't seem to find a s10 in my area with a transfer. Anyone have an idea of what other vehicles the np231c comes in that will bolt to my 60e

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I started this build after I wrecked on feb 5 2015 been working on it ever since. Completely rebuild from the ground up. New frame. new front clip. All new suspension all new interior except seats they are expensive so waiting in them. Fresh paint. New front bumper. Rebuilt axles. Now replacing the engine

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
I started this build after I wrecked on feb 5 2015 been working on it ever since. Completely rebuild from the ground up. New frame. new front clip. All new suspension all new interior except seats they are expensive so waiting in them. Fresh paint. New front bumper. Rebuilt axles. Now replacing the engine
I'm a bodyman. We would see windshields like that often. I'll bet you were picking broken glass out of your forehead for weeks.

ALWAYS wear your seatbelt.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was actually my fist through the windshield. My chest wrapped the steering wheel around the column but that's what kept my head from hitting the windshield.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry guys been busy with work haven't had a lot of extra build time. But I got the transfer case together and now everything is mated and ready to tack the engine mounts in. Curious so see how it goes I've gotten a lot of opinions in how the set the mounts. We shall see hopefully will have the mounts welded in by the end of the weekend. I find that the swap itself is pretty straight forward. But finding the time to complete the task is a full time job on its own.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts