Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i jacked up my jeep so all 4 wheels were suspended. i put her in 4wd and in 1st gear. the rear passenger tire was spinning at a slight wobble (side to side not top to bottom). i rotated the tires and got the same result on the same rear passenger side.

is this a bearing or axle problem? and could this be adding to the wobble.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That would explain your shaking in reverse and 1st gear, if it was your rear tire I dont think it would cause your death woble.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
YJ's don't get death wobble. You have a different kind of animal there on your hands.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
YJ's don't get death wobble. You have a different kind of animal there on your hands.
mmmmmm....and you would know this how? I'd bet there are a few of us driving YJ's that would disagree.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Wow, u guys are touchy. I was under the impression that a leaf spring suspension would not develop a death wobble. But exxxxccccuuuuuusssseeeee me. :flipoff:

At least this is what all my YJ driving friends brag about on a constant basis.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
You are forgiven. Now go and sin no more.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
lol, thanks Dare.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
i jacked up my jeep so all 4 wheels were suspended. i put her in 4wd and in 1st gear. the rear passenger tire was spinning at a slight wobble (side to side not top to bottom). i rotated the tires and got the same result on the same rear passenger side.

is this a bearing or axle problem? and could this be adding to the wobble.
Before you rebuild the whole underside of the jeep check something else out. I just traded rims and tires with my son and I ended up with the bad wobble he had on his jeep. He is driving the 87 Cherokee I gave him last year while I am driving the 88 YJ I just bought. He got my nice ride and good tires, I got his wobble and bald tires. (Yes I know some Dads go the extra mile for their kids) Turned out to be a bent rim. Since I live in the mountains and use it for back road driving I just had the rim balanced out with the new dirt and mud tires I put on. Every problem is not necessarily a reason for a major project, unless you want it to be!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts