Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last time it was started was about 6 months ago and it was parked slightly slanted(dont know if this helps), About a week ago I went to start it and when I would turn the key on I couldnt hear the fuel pump kick on so I dropped the fuel tank and fixed the ground, which wasnt even grounded right(must have gotten loose), after that I turned the key to "on" and wallah the fuel pump kicked on, tried to crank but still no start. Any suggestions? I plan on replacing the spark plugs and fuel filter shortly.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Welcome to the Forum wranglertangle,

Does it crank but not fire?
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
Do you have spark?
What else have you done as far as diagnostics besides securing the fuel pump ground?

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: wranglertangle

·
Retired Moderator
100,578 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Reactions: wranglertangle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it cranks but wont fire, but occasionally it acts like it might start up then it stops and keeps cranking.

I do not have a fuel pressure gauge but I can go pick one up tommorow

Yes it is getting spark from the ignition coil

other than fix the ground on the fuel pump I havent done anything, Im not too mechanically inclined as im only 15 but id rather try to fix it before spending hundreds at a shop

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
Crank briskly but no start
1 check fuel rail pressure
2 ensure good gas in tank
3 check spark at spark plug end of spark plug wire with loose grounded spark plug
4 verify injectors firing with noid lights

If 1 thru 4 ok
Check for zebras like timing chain that jumped a few teeth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
What Digger84 means by zebras is if you hear hoof beats around here, it might be a zebra, but it's most likely a horse. Look at the most logical things first.

When referring to zebras when doing diagnostics, it means there's an outside chance it could be a timing chain (the zebra) , but check numbers 1-4 first (the horses).

Google "Machams Razor" for a more scientific explanation of the process.
Ask your science teacher what is Machams Razor.

I applaud you for wanting to learn to do the work yourself. The fact that you're "only" 15 means you simply need experience. There's plenty of folks here that'll help you get that experience to keep your jeep running.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Dependent on where you live rodents can be a huge problem. Sitting 6 months here in the desert where I live there would likely be little left of the underhood wiring. Take a close look for frayed wires, plugged exhaust systems, rats nests plugging up the air box and that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Google "Machams Razor" for a more scientific explanation of the process.
Ask your science teacher what is Machams Razor.
And that would be Mr. William of Ockham.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Reactions: cyberworm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from the autoparts store where I picked up a fuel pressure test kit , some new spark plugs and a service manual for my jeep. I also ordered a new fuel filter and some new vent valves for the gast tank, about to go get my hands dirty will update in a few.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well what do you know, and boy am I glad, after changing the sprak plugs I hopped in and went to start it and it started instantly, better than before even. Thanks for all the help guys! still got a little maintenance to do on it so I will probably be back soon.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Now today, you've got more experience than you had yesterday. Plus, you have a new fuel pressure gauge to keep as a diagnostic tool for the next time your Jeep won't start.

Keep up the good work.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts