Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my jeep yesterday and when I tried to restart it would not start. The battery, alternator and wires are all good to my knowledge. It turns over strong but will not fire. Distributor and spark plugs all look good. Autozone suggested a crankshaft position center. This $60 part did nothing different. I also checked the fuel pump relay under hood. Please any advice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you tap the starter a few times to see if it seized? 3 quick taps with a hammer or large wrench with the key in the lock postion should do the trick. if jeep starts after that, you can get a rebuilt one with a warantee for like 80 bucks. Hope it works. GO CHEAP ROUTE before listening to autozone. Hammer is a very cheap diagnostic tool.

Those guys told a buddy of mine that they couldnt get him a belt because he couldnt give them a make and model for his DIRT TRACK CAR... he had the part number in hand. He just went somewhere else instead of explaining anything to them haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
You say you checked the fuel pump relay, but did you check fuel pressure. Also pull one of the spark plugs and ground it out and make sure you see spark. make sure you have both fuel and spark

·
Registered
37 Posts
You don't say what size engine, so anyway - will it try to start if you shoot some starter fluid directly into the intake? If it does, spark and cp sensor are good, so check fuel pressure. Easy test, remove the cap on the fuel line to the injectors ( it looks like a tire valve) , put a wad of shop towel under it and press the center of the valve, if you only get a trickle, its probably a clogged filter or a bad pump.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Did you tap the starter a few times to see if it seized? 3 quick taps with a hammer or large wrench with the key in the lock postion should do the trick. if jeep starts after that, you can get a rebuilt one with a warantee for like 80 bucks. Hope it works. GO CHEAP ROUTE before listening to autozone. Hammer is a very cheap diagnostic tool.

Those guys told a buddy of mine that they couldnt get him a belt because he couldnt give them a make and model for his DIRT TRACK CAR... he had the part number in hand. He just went somewhere else instead of explaining anything to them haha

Original post said that it turns over fine.....he has a fuel or electrical problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for just now getting back to your replies - I replaced the crankshaft position sensor at the recommendation of Autozone - nothing different and I'm out $60. I took it to a shop and they said the ignition switch had a fault between the fuel pump relay. $240 parts and labor and it is driving again. Thanks for the advice guys but that one was out of my realm of know how to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts