Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1993 wrangler yj with the 2.5l motor. when getting up in high rpms like 3000-3500 it dosen't wanna go anymore like it has a governer or something like that. i feel like it looses power. and also i wanna know what are some cheap good wya to get better gas mileage in this thing. it gets horible mileage as of now. thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Usually first place I'd check if it runs OK at lower rpm is the cat. Mine was plugged and didn't wanna rev at all replaced it and working OK now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well my exhaust manifold has a bolt broke off so it has a leak in it, so i was going to replace it with a header to a flowmaster and straight back. good idea? been around jeeps my whole life but this is my first one and new to yj's.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
bmckinney_93wrangler said:
well my exhaust manifold has a bolt broke off so it has a leak in it, so i was going to replace it with a header to a flowmaster and straight back. good idea? been around jeeps my whole life but this is my first one and new to yj's.
Leaks can cause problems too so that would be a good idea so long as you don't have emissions inspections. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
It sucks? Lol. I rebuilt my motor and im getting around 15 but i need the idle adjusted since its finally broken in. I don't get super good gas mileage but i warm mine up before I drive it since its cranky in the cold so a lot of my gas is idling and i work 1 mile away so its ALL pretty much acceleration lol.

Edit I have a 4.2L I6 though

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tips from the Beas

Your fuel pressure regulator has gone bad and the motor is starving for fuel. It isn't the catalytic converter. Simply remove the throttle body hose from the breather and give it some gas. You will hear a heavy bogging noise if the converter is bad. I can tell you right now though, it is the fuel pressure regulator. this is located on the fuel rail. Hope that helps.

PS- don't expect a lot of milage. It's a Jeep.:doh:

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Your fuel pressure regulator has gone bad and the motor is starving for fuel. It isn't the catalytic converter. Simply remove the throttle body hose from the breather and give it some gas. You will hear a heavy bogging noise if the converter is bad. I can tell you right now though, it is the fuel pressure regulator. this is located on the fuel rail. Hope that helps.

PS- don't expect a lot of milage. It's a Jeep.:doh:
Ah see mine is carbbed lol. Hopefully he finds it, I didn't look at what motor he had my bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts