Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 5 speed manual 1994 jeep wrangler that seems to be having problems with its clutch. When I start it up it works perfectly fine, clutch engages at the right point and everything works as it is supposed to. After driving it for a little while, though, the clutch starts engaging closer and closer to the ground. I can't seem to find anywhere why this might be happening. The clutch was replaced recently and doesn't have a lot of miles on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Slave or master cylinder

Check the master/slave cylinder, my master cylinder had a tiny leak next to the firewall. I replaced both as a unit, no more issues.

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would that only affect it after driving for a while? also, the fluid level is perfectly fine and hasn't ever needed more so I doubt its a leak...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suspect my problem was heat and moisture related. As hydraulic fluid ages it collects moisture, hygroscopic, as I said I had a miniscule leak in my system in a spot I couldn't see until I pulled the master cylinder off the fire wall. BTW my fluid level looked fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, i checked for leaks but I couldn't see any (that doesn't mean there weren't any there that I couldn't see). I have pumped the clutch cap open and no bubbles came out. The clutch feels fine right now but after driving some it goes to the floor. Sometimes it wont fully disengage either. Could it be a problem with the pressure plate sticking and not pushing the clutch pedal back? Because even pulling the pedal back up doesn't seem to really help anything

·
Registered
5 Posts
It could be weak or broken springs. But since it works cold my money is still on hydraulics, when was it last flushed and changed? Most manufacturers recommend 30K. Water in hydraulic fluid lowers the boiling point and could cause your symptoms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I guess sometimes it has the problem right off the bat, without having heated up yet (My dad has had it do this when he has driven it). He also seems to think that spraying lubricant up near the master cylinder near the clutch pedal helps it for a little while. I'm not sure how true that is though

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
When my slave went bad my fluid levels never changed, my symptoms initially was a clutch that would not engage until completely pushed in. Later I had to make sure if I was sitting at a light to put it in neutral because I would lose pressure and the jeep would try to take off with the clutch pedal completely pressed to the floor. It would shift fine. I actually drove it in this condition not realizing replacing the master/external slave was about the easiest repair I've ever done. Knowing now what I do I would have changed it a lot earlier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for you help.
The whole clutch, master, slave, pilot bearing, pressure plate, and pilot bearing were replaced about 9 years ago but it has only been driven about 7000 miles since then. Do you still think the slave cylinder could be the problem? Could the fact that it hasn't been driven a lot be the problem?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am having the exact same problem on my '91. I found what appeared to be a small leak at the master. Replaced it an bled it really good and it came back that night. I ordered a Luk clutch kit (master, slave, bearing etc) I am having it put in this week. I'll let you know if it works. I bought it with a new clutch kit already in it (from Oreilly's) so I am very skeptical..

·
Registered
380 Posts
I replaced the slave and it lasted a total of 4 miles,the second time I replaced the slave and master and so far so good.droping the tranny twice in a week was a pia but got good experience doing it.by the way ,bought the clutch kit from NAPA.the master is metal as compared to plastic made on the old one...russ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, do you know anything about different brands of clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder combinations? Is dorman an ok one or no?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Thanks guys, do you know anything about different brands of clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder combinations? Is dorman an ok one or no?
i really don't sorry. Didn't want you to think we were ignoring your question. I can tell you I bought the omix on Amazon and I've had no issues.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
iTunes Dorman clutch master and slave 88 with the external mod two years no issues

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thanks guys! I put on the dorman one today and it works great! Problem solved! Thanks so much for your help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts