Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Looking at buying this YJ, private owner sale.

It's a '94, 171,000 miles, selling for $5,200.

People who know a lot more about these than me, is this a reasonable price? It seems like it to me. The guy says there's no rust, pics look nice. It's black, soft top. Clean title.

Seems pretty good to me just not sure if it's a "too good to be true" situation or not. What do people think?

Thanks!

~Nicolas

Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
Are you posting pictures? Engine size? Stock or modded?

I paid $5900 3 years ago. I still don't know if it was a good deal or not but I still have it so I am glad I bought it. Today it doesn't matter if I paid $1000 or $5900 or $8000. Just throwing in some perspective.

Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
Is that a good price in your area? I don't think it is "too good to be true". Can you find a better one for cheaper? If no, then I would say that is a good deal.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that a good price in your area? I don't think it is "too good to be true". Can you find a better one for cheaper? If no, then I would say that is a good deal.
It seems to be a good price for my area. Typically I find them for more money, or the same amount of $$$ but MUCH older. Recently they have been either not existent or just a few thousand more out of my range.

Thank you for your feedback.

Premium Member
It seems to be a good price for my area. Typically I find them for more money, or the same amount of $$$ but MUCH older. Recently they have been either not existent or just a few thousand more out of my range.

Thank you for your feedback.
To me the price is not crazy. Check the frame carefully, it is tough to tell from the pictures but it looks like the frame could have been recently painted which is a trick a lot of people use to cover up problem areas. Could just be the person painted it to make it look nicer but fresh paint would make me suspicious

Super Moderator
When in doubt, have any vehicle that you're considering buying inspected by a shop (or company that specializes in inspections). Spending $100.00-$200.00 for an inspection could save that amount many times over. You don't have to share the results of the inspection with the seller unless he pays for it or a portion of it. It's always prudent to ask the seller to pay for an inspection. Usually they won't, but some sellers might pay for half (more or less).
bergy brings up the possibility of frame rust. Depending on your location, a rust free frame and tub can add significantly to the price of an older Wrangler. The inspection should include a detailed report of a couple dozen points. Body and frame rust should be among them.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: L8rhosen

Registered
'94 4.0L | 5-sp manual | 4.5" Lift
I agree with all the previous comments.. check the frame and tub underneath for rust that's covered up. Before I bought mine a few months ago, I looked at a couple that had rust painted over, so it does happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts