Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little background. I bought a 79 CJ5 last fall to build into a fun daily driver. When i started looking hard at the Jeep, and the cost of parts for it, ( mainly a top and doors), i realized I'd bitten off more than my budget could chew. Time to rethink.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First i got it home and removed the chrome grill cover... hate those things. I think some rattle can bedliner will make it much more menacing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First purchase was a rampage center console with front and rear cupholders and a padded armrest. It cost $70 shipped, but after being used to our TJ's I consider it a necessity.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hard top rattled and banged a LOT too much on our dirt roads and the full doors had some significant rust so the next step was to install the soft top i got with the Jeep.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The top appeared in good shape and i was pleased to see it was by Bestop so i set out to install, (after some forum/youtube searches), the hardware.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Digging through the pile of stuff i got with the Jeep i realized i was missing the tub rails and the thingies for the upper windshield mount so I cursed alot and then headed to the computer for some shopping. I finally found the Rampage hardware kit, which i made sure worked with any factory style top. It ran another $240, but I figured it had to be worth it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure you YJ guys were laughing about my hardware choice. When it arrived I happily headed out and installed it, only to find out it DIDN'T work with my bestop top. Hell, even the upper doors were a complete mismatch, so, back to the computer again for more spending.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also recieved my diamond plate side plates, ($59). My plan is to clean up all the rust along the bottom edge of the tub, rattle can bedline the tub and doors with sand colored bedliner, then do the side plates and accents, (hinges, etc), with black rattle can bedliner. It should look pretty sharp. After that I want bumpers and new pocket flares but we will see what the wallet looks like when we get there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have to figure out my photobucket password or get another account to post pictures from. Also hit a snag in this project today because the wife goofed up the bushings in her front track bar so now shes driving my tj and i am daily driving the yj for a couple.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I agree, tops really do suck. I'm in need of a new one before winter (mine is only 3 years old but sucks) and it's as much money as a SYE and driveshaft!

For flares, look into garden edging. I've heard about it but just saw it last trip. Looked clean, it was $15 for the whole thing, and it doesn't require much fab.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts