Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning!

I'm driving down the road, minding my own business, and this horrible noise comes out of nowhere......
It sounds like a piece of plastic is rubbing on the tire.....the faster I drive, the louder it gets.....when I take it out of gear or start to break, the quieter it gets.

Figured out it's coming from the rear.

Nov. 2014 I had the read U joint replaced.
Jan 2015, the rear U joint is busted. We (the mechanic and I) figured it was a bad part. They warrantied it, and replaced it.
March 2015.....the rear U joint is busted, again. NOW it's making that horrible noise.

Mechanic said it's my differential. Said it was going to cost 1500 to get a rebuilt one to replace the old one.....said I should start looking for a new Jeep.

I love my Jeep.
It saved my daughters life.
I have looked on the internet for a new Jeep......and well, I can't afford a new Jeep.....PLUS there are very very few manuals for sale.
I don't want all the whistles and bells.....just a Jeep like mine.

In July I will be driving from Central IN to Naples Florida, and I want to make sure she'll make it......

Is 1500 high?
Does this sound like a rear differential problem?
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You need to drop the cover and check out the internals. Either way, you can pick up a used D35 for a couple hundred bucks (tops) and swap it out (it's not that difficult). Even if you just rebuild what you have, it should be half that.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
$1500 to have a mechanic rebuild or replace your rear axle? No, that is not a very high price. A lot cheaper to do the work yourself. But there are some of us that aren't capable of doing it, or were raised and taught to take it to the mechanic to have it fixed.

You might want to think about getting something newer, realize that your machine is now 20 years old, and is going to need quite a bit of TLC in order to keep running in a dependable fashion. Most of us that own a 20 year old machine or older (mine is 28) rely on being able to fix it on their own. That way it doesn't cost $1500 to rebuild or replace a rear axle.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you can find a Dana 35, will they install it? Shouldn't be more than a couple hours labor to swap the rear end. I just did this job a couple months ago.

Just make sure you get the correct gear ratio, it's the rebuild part that makes the job expensive. It's time consuming to set up the gears correctly.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Time for an exploder 8.8 swap

Or a bolt in 8.8 from East Coast gear

I would never put the time or effort into fixing a 35. It'll cost you as much or more than a swap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts