Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I picked up a 'barn find' which is more like a

....' somebody who did not know WTF they were doing .... but thought they did find and when they realized they were in too deep they gave it away '

They put a shackle life on it and larger wheels with wheel adapters.

I want to get rid of that and put it back to stock.

During inspection we discovered a rear leaf spring was broken over the top of a mounting bolt. If I jack it up from under the frame there is a real possibility the spring will drop off .... so we aint doing that, yet.

I need to replace that one spring NOW .... but I figure, might as well do all four springs, shackles, bushings and everything else involved.

QUESTION - Is there a good manufacturer that sells an all inclusive kit to do this job with a cost that won't break the bank?

I see on Quadra-Tec that OMIX and Crown offer something but not sure I want them.

On the other hand since there is a 1 1/14" shackle life ...... why not go with a 2" life kit and dump the shackles.

This is a BUDGET BUILD ( but I would like grazeable bushings ) ..... any and all ideas are welcome !!!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,961 Posts
If you want to go back to stock height, search General Spring in Kansas City.
You can by stock height springs-regular duty and stock height springs-heavy duty. Top quality stuff.

Stock size wheel is 15" with 5 on 4 1/2 centers. Stock Cherokee wheels look good and should be inexpensive at pick & pay. You can advertise for stock YJ wheels on Craigslist.

With stock sized tires you should get rid of the lift shackles.

Get a Factory Service Manual. It will save you more than the $40.00 that it costs.

Also get a couple cans of PB Blaster, a can of Antisieze and a tube or two of dielectric grease.
And a QUALITY set of torx drive bits.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheels are not an issue ...... well except that we have too many sets around here.

I know the sizes and patterns ... not an issue there either,

Going back to stock height pretty much requires changing out the shackles.

I know about General Spring but then that involves me sourcing shackles, bushings, U-Bolts and all the other associated goodies.

We buy PB Blaster by the case ..... get discounts.

Was just looking for a decent, yet budget conscious source for an 'all in on kit'.

Closest thing I could find along those lines was from RUGGED RIDGE .... shocks would be ala carte ..... yeah gotta change those too.

VEHICLE USAGE ------ primarily a drive around town with the top and doors off, and at times with the windshield down. It;s for someone who has decided to give up motorcycle riding but still wants the " wind in your face experience ". NO off roading type use.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had to replace my rear springs over the winter. They were stock for a 95 with a hardtop. I ended up going with SD Truck springs. Shipped quickly and seemed high quality. Been happy with them. Definitely not happy with the passenger side bolts fusing to the bushings though. Pain in my ass to get those off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.