Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's up guys I just bought a 1995 Wrangler 4 cylinder 5 Speed and my mechanic told me I have a bad computer...The car had no spark and the fuel pump was not working...He checked fuses and different sensors like the crank sensor and he came up with the conclusion that my computer was bad...I tried checking Kragen Autoparts however they dont carry it...Does anyone know were I could rebuild mine or were I can actually buy one???? Thanks

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
You can check Ebay, they are listed on there from time to time.

Did the mechanic check the master reset? I think on a 95 its located up high on the pass side kick panel. Like to the right side of the heater box. If that is tripped it will cause the same symptoms as you have described.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Before investing in a new computer, check a few more things. My YJ had no spark and I thought it was a computer also. I would start by checking the fuel pump yourself. To do this, simply turn the key to the accessory position and have someone listen for the pump to prime from the gas tank. If it makes a sound, the pump is functioning. Next,check for spark from the coil. For this, pull the lead wire from your coil and just place it close to the engine block. If you get a weak or no so park, it could be a bad coil. This what my issue was. Another thing to check is the sensor that goes into your distributor. You need to pull your distributor to access this part, and if you do, make sure you pay careful attention to the positioning of the dist. If you try these troubleshooting techniques and it still will not start up, you should be able to order a new computer from a vendor like Quadratec. Good luck.

Jeff

Quick edit, have ou checked for any error codes by turning the ignition on and off a couple of times and counting the flashes?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
What about the relays? There are fuses and relays that will keep the pump from turning on and ign from happening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuses and relays were checked by mechanic...the fuel pump isnt turning on and there is no spark...I guess thats why he came up with the conclusion that it was the computer???

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Oh no lots more to check. CPS, coil ignition module and wiring. I can't speak to the 95 I run an antique but hold off untill you have troubleshot the rest of the ignition system. You need a good wiring diagram a meter and do some more hunting it could be one of the above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts