Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around this forum and google looking for options, but most point towards forums that got out of control with "what if's"....

I'd like to keep this simple, please. The 2.5L block currently in my (my wife's) '95 YJ has been welded because I am thrifty, and bought the cheap replacement engine from a jeep that T-boned a tree and broke the motor mounts (studs were welded in), and developed a hairline crack above the oil filter (after we installed it in ours), which we thought the oil filter was leaking for the longest time... My buddy's dad welded the block as a wedding present to us.

That said, I'd like to keep it a 2.5, no upgrading to a 4.0 or Chevy V8. We might buy a CJ with a V8 swap already done, down the road.

I've always wanted to learn how to rebuild an engine. I started with my 5.0L (tore it down to the block), but someone made an offer and I sold it and I still have the engine stand. Since it is only a matter of time until something happens to the current 2.5 engine, I'd like a backup handy. The AX5 was just rebuilt, and we're about to put on a 2.5" lift kit so it can handle the sand dunes better with 31's. Plus we're staying with the stock 4.10 ratio.

Most of the performance mods talk about bolt on performance, which equals $300 for 5hp... While we do take 3.5 hour each way trips up north, I'd like to increase torque if possible for the dunes, but a solid build is more important to me!!

When I buy a used block and start rebuilding it, are there any components that I can upgrade while it is already apart, this is worth the price???
Hydraulic lifters? H rods? Machine the head? I'll probably stick with a stock cam... Again, I know this is a 2.5L, not a drag engine! haha

I will be putting on an Airaid intake (sounds cool), used stock 4.0L TB, maybe TB spacer, mustang fuel injectors, long header and a cat that offers good flow. But since I am still learning, what can I do to the inside of the engine to make it last and not mess with the ECU?

·
Registered
732 Posts
The guts of the 2.5 is about a simple as you can get. Dont think you will find many upgrade parts for the rods and pistons, so go with some good replacements.

There are tricks to get some quicker acceleration out of the rotating assembly, but not really worth doing on a daily driver.

think there is a few cams you can get for it that help. Decking the head as much as possible to increase compression always results in some better power.. But this is not a engine that has built in power that you can find.. Just a tractor engine that moves a jeep.. Bore the pistons as much as possible also ...but then you start looking at reliability issues.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guts of the 2.5 is about a simple as you can get. Dont think you will find many upgrade parts for the rods and pistons, so go with some good replacements.

There are tricks to get some quicker acceleration out of the rotating assembly, but not really worth doing on a daily driver.

think there is a few cams you can get for it that help. Decking the head as much as possible to increase compression always results in some better power.. But this is not a engine that has built in power that you can find.. Just a tractor engine that moves a jeep.. Bore the pistons as much as possible also ...but then you start looking at reliability issues.
Good to know, thank you! I was kind of hoping that there wasn't too much extra I could buy for it. I don't want to mess with cams on this. I'll definitely have it bored out, but nothing crazy. I'll definitely spend extra on good replacement parts though.

These 2.5L's have plenty of power already! With four adults ranging from 165lbs-280lbs, plus the hard top on, we went up a VERY steep sand hill/dune from a dead stop(4x4 Low & 5psi in the tires), since we don't have a lift kit yet (too much weight plus have 31's). Thank goodness for the rev limiter, but we made it up in 2nd NO PROBLEM!!! Other new vehicles getting a running start couldn't even make it up the hill!!! hahaha

I'm definitely excited about learning how to rebuild one though!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts