Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought this 95 yj and came with this hardtop that has a rear plastic clear window that snaps on the hardtop with buttons. its really old and torn at the corners and ive looked everywhere to find a replacement and cant seem to find any...only the glass rear window versions...does anyone know where I can find a replacement?

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
So I recently bought this 95 yj and came with this hardtop that has a rear plastic clear window that snaps on the hardtop with buttons. its really old and torn at the corners and ive looked everywhere to find a replacement and cant seem to find any...only the glass rear window versions...does anyone know where I can find a replacement?
No such thing exists. Post pictures of the top so we can see what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
That is a factory YJ hard top but someone broke the back glass and replaced it with a bubba contraption. I would replace the glass and fill the button holes with epoxy.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,742 Posts
Windex...

·
Super Moderator
14,013 Posts
That's someone's cheapo repair to replace a broken back glass.
If you want to have a stock rear glass, here's a couple links that may help you decide.

You'll need at least:
The glass
2 hinges
2 struts
A lower liftgate trim kit
You may need something on the glass for the struts to attach to. Your hard top should (hopefully) have the metal strut brackets still there.

If you don't install a new rear wiper you'll need a couple plugs for the wiper holes in the glass.
Does your dash have a set of switched in the recess to the right of the steering column? If so, one switch will be for the wiper and the other one for the defrost if you have switches there (assuming a PO hasn't repurposed the switches).
It's unlikely you'll find a complete used glass, but it might be worth while to place a wanted ad on Craigslist in the auto parts section.

You may be able to use some fine polish as a temporary measure to make the back window somewhat transparent. It will never be clear enough to see through properly. If you have the soft plastic window replaced by an upholstery shop you'll still have a cobbled up "adaption".

let us know what you end up doing

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's someone's cheapo repair to replace a broken back glass.
If you want to have a stock rear glass, here's a couple links that may help you decide.

You'll need at least:
The glass
2 hinges
2 struts
A lower liftgate trim kit
You may need something on the glass for the struts to attach to. Your hard top should (hopefully) have the metal strut brackets still there.

If you don't install a new rear wiper you'll need a couple plugs for the wiper holes in the glass.
Does your dash have a set of switched in the recess to the right of the steering column? If so, one switch will be for the wiper and the other one for the defrost if you have switches there (assuming a PO hasn't repurposed the switches).
It's unlikely you'll find a complete used glass, but it might be worth while to place a wanted ad on Craigslist in the auto parts section.

You may be able to use some fine polish as a temporary measure to make the back window somewhat transparent. It will never be clear enough to see through properly. If you have the soft plastic window replaced by an upholstery shop you'll still have a cobbled up "adaption".

let us know what you end up doing

Good Luck, L.M.
thank you for the reply and ideas, yeah it has the buttons and plugs for the rear wipers.. I think im gonna go with replacing the window back to stock, i just gotta figure out where the brackets would go cause I cant seem to see any mounts but i do see the mounts for the struts

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,742 Posts
Here's my hinges. The struts mount to the inside of the top and the window.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior
hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
14,013 Posts
BTW, with the lower glass kit in place (the multi-part fiberglass trim panel that goes on the lower lip of the glass), you close the glass first and then close the tailgate. The upper lip of the tailgate closes against the lower lip of the glass to hold the glass closed. If the lower glass kit doesn't come with a gasket, you'll have to buy a gasket too. There is no actual latch to keep the glass shut.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
contacted an upholstery shop and was quoted $400 to replace the vynil window...HE IS OUT OF HIS MIND...HAHAHA.400 for a piece of plastic that is simple to install...im better off just cleaning it and living with it for the winter, then take the hard top off in the spring summer and fall

1 - 13 of 13 Posts