Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It needs to be replaced. It is NOT the oil pan gasket. It is a leaking rear main oil seal. (kinda expected after 230,000 miles)

There are plenty of videos online showing how to replace the 4.0L 6 cylinder main seal (the two piece seal) that is simply removing the oil pan and the bearing cap.

However, my 1995 YJ is a 2.5L 4 cylinder. And Chilton's is telling me to remove the transmission and flywheel before I can get to the oil seal.

Question: Does anyone have any tips or pointers on this procedure? Who has done this before or your YJ? I have looked high and low for an online video of the 2.5 procedure, however, all I keep finding are 4.0 L main seal replacement videos (there are about 10)

Any help would be appreciated before I start tearing into this.
Cheers.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Did mine while engine was out of the jeep.

EDIT - my apologies, as this posed part of what I wrote...

You have to have the full seal exposed. It's just a one piece seal that slides in. Plan to remove all the parts (and replace while they're off?). I've pulled my AX-5 so many times... I could work on a nascar team with the speed I can remove it.

Also, while you're tearing into it. Just knock out the oil pan seal too. It's a handful of bolts, but it's quite easy to do. I know you said you don't need to - but replacement can't hurt.

The main seal is the brown circle. You can see how it's one piece. Removal - just stab it and pull it out. You can see how the bolts for the oil pan are easily accessible here. Why replacement of the oil pan gasket isn't that hard at this point.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Its super easy once the trans and clutch and flywheel are removed. Very simple one piece seal. Nothing in the way. If you have issues anyone here can help. I'll search for a pic but honestly I don't think you need it.

If you can remove the trans - you can swap the seal.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ Islander
22 Posts
I've done the 4.0 and 4.2L which have a 2-part seal. As I understand, the 2.5L 4-Cyl is a one piece seal. That would mean you have to remove the transmission. This is why most people don't replace it themselves or why most of the videos are showing the seal being replaced while the engine is on an engine stand. Probably not what you wanted to hear.
Here's a link to one:
Jeep Wrangler 2.5 / 4.0 Rebuild Series - Clutch Installation - Oil Pump - Oil Pan - YouTube

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did mine while engine was out of the jeep.

EDIT - my apologies, as this posed part of what I wrote...

You have to have the full seal exposed. It's just a one piece seal that slides in. Plan to remove all the parts (and replace while they're off?). I've pulled my AX-5 so many times... I could work on a nascar team with the speed I can remove it.

Also, while you're tearing into it. Just knock out the oil pan seal too. It's a handful of bolts, but it's quite easy to do. I know you said you don't need to - but replacement can't hurt.

View attachment 4486298

The main seal is the brown circle. You can see how it's one piece. Removal - just stab it and pull it out. You can see how the bolts for the oil pan are easily accessible here. Why replacement of the oil pan gasket isn't that hard at this point.
This is ALL GOOD INFO Dusty. Your first reply “Did mine while engine was out of the jeep” had me scratching my head like.... THAT’S THE FIRST THING I WANT TO AVOID. Haha

·
Registered
979 Posts
This is ALL GOOD INFO Dusty. Your first reply “Did mine while engine was out of the jeep” had me scratching my head like.... THAT’S THE FIRST THING I WANT TO AVOID. Haha
I hear you. I was swapping motors. So I did a lot while it was on the stand before I installed it.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Unless it is a Porsche--My first clutch job on it and I was like "drop the engine and trans together"? No way! To much work! Only things holding the engine up are the motor mounts. Both drop together from under the vehicle but you have remove a bunch of parts for it to come out. I should have listened. Getting the tranny splines and engine lined up while under the car was a royal PITA.

I'm pretty sure my YJ RMS is leaking and for sure, the transfer case is leaking. So I'm gearing up to drop the whole lot and replace all seals at once.

John D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts