Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using this forum for all kinds of information lately, so I thought I'd create a short thread describing the progress of my 1995 YJ. It has been neglected for quite a while, and over the last couple of months I've slowly been making the necessary repairs. I've included a few photos of it before I picked it up.

The frame is in good shape. It does have a little rust on the bottoms of the fenders, and a couple of holes near the footwell of the tub. As far as the mechanicals are concerned, it needed completely gone through. It also had a pretty neat safety feature that included metal strapping and a 1/4 inch bumper bolt holding the driver's side seat belt to the tub!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cleaned and Raptor-lined the tub (sorry for the rotated photo, but I'm not going through the hassle to try to fix it), and then plasti-dipped the outside in Aintree Green. I also sprayed the hard top with Dupli-Color's desert tan peelable paint. I wasn't a fan of that product as it didn't cover well at all. I then added some eBay front and rear bumpers (front bumper bolt holes didn't line up at all), rocker guards, a small light bar, some radiator screen, and some clear turn signal lenses with amber LED bulbs (one of the original lenses was cracked).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Here's a little bit better photo of the screen. I used screen from True Value, tie straps and those little 3M adhesive squares to hold it in place. Then I ended up replacing the shifter boots, adjusting the transfer case shifter linkage, and adding a couple of new shift knobs. I thought my transfer case was bad as it would only work in 2wd, but I ended up finding that the bolt for the adjuster was missing, allowing it to slide some when I shifted. I was happy about not having to dig any further into that. I cleaned up a few things here and there in the engine compartment along the way, and then used the Eastwood rust encapsulator product on the suspension and wheel well areas.

I still have quite a bit more to do, but I think it's come quite a ways since I picked it up. I'll try to add more photos as a finish a few more projects.

Sorry again for the rotated photos. They're fine on my computer screen, but not fine when they pull into the forum. It drives me crazy, and it should be much easier to resolve this issue.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Looking good. Tub appears to be a bit more solid than what i've got my hands on. In the middle of the de-griming engine area, gotta love finding loose valve cover bolts ... Did you pull the valve cover to see what lurks beneath?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking good. Tub appears to be a bit more solid than what i've got my hands on. In the middle of the de-griming engine area, gotta love finding loose valve cover bolts ... Did you pull the valve cover to see what lurks beneath?
I had to replace the valve cover gasket, so I got a good look inside. Like the rest of the Jeep it appeared to be neglected. The previous owner(s) definitely didn't make changing the oil a priority. I plan to run a little Seafoam through it to clean things up a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheels are on, and it's back on the road today for the first time in quite a while. I had a difficult time trying to get the Plasti-dip aerosol cans to lay down properly. Of course, the aerosols aren't meant for large panels. I think I'm going to purchase the special Plasti-dip sprayer and try again. It's not bad from a distance, but it's too noticeable for my taste.
 

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top