Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995 YJ
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a CJ dash in my 1995 YJ, but I'm not sure how to put a mechanical speedometer in it. The stock speedometer has no cable going to it whatsoever - only electric. Can I put a mechanical distance/speed sensor in the transfer case? And if so, will everything else work correctly?

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Yes you can put a cable driven speedo in your t-case, I just did it with my 87, which has a cable driven speedo, and i put a 97 t-case in it. quadratec sells the parts to make the swap.

As far as everything else working, the answer would be no. A CJ dash (depending on the year) has all mechanical gauges, the only thing electrical on the early ones was the fuel gauge. but the Ohms will be wrong from a YJ sending unit to a CJ gauge.

So, you will most likely be plumbing all new wires and tubing for the mechanical gauges. As far as the fuel gauge is concerned, that one might be hard to cross over.

·
Registered
1995 YJ
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the answers. I guess when I asked if everything else would work, I meant the electrical part of the speedo signal going to the computer. How do I put in a mechanical speedo cable and keep the electric signal needed for the computer?

·
Registered
1995 YJ
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I found on another Jeep forum that a 91YJ sensor that goes in the transfer case is electric and has a cable for the speedo. Does anyone know if that will fit in my transfer case? 1995 NP231?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts