Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question . i have a 96 jeep xj . problems i know i have are bad tie rod and ends, need shocks and front end alignment. the issue i am having is when i hit a bump it kind of loses control just tad . smooth roads it drives perfect minus the bouncing because of the shocks . but a road that is constantly bumpy causes it to shake . or if i’m coming on a curve at a certain speed it’ll lose control until i slow down or speed up past that particular speed . any suggestions on if those parts i mentioned would fix this ?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If it's speed related and it goes away when you speed up or slow down, check tire balance. Have the tires checked and have them road force balanced if possible.

Make sure the track bar bushings and mounts are good but death wobble usually only goes away if you come to a stop or really close to a stop and you can't drive thru it.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
The first thing I'd do is repair or have repaired the known faults. Then, if the condition still exists, ask your question again.
Once you have new tie rods, tie rod ends ball joints and an alignment, it's probable your issues will be solved.
As part of a quality alignment, the shop will examine all components for wear and damage, plus set the tires to the factory recommended pressure.

I think you're asking "Is there anything that'll fix my condition without me spending the money to repair what I already know I need".
My answer is "Probably not".

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
I think it is possible that replacing the parts you have mentioned you know it needs (shocks, tie rod ends, alignment) would resolve the driving issues. There may be more you need to do, but a vehicle with those known issues would not be expected to drive well.
I would fix what you know is wrong, and go from there.
I would also add to your list, I would get the tires balanced (as cranbiz suggested) and make sure the air pressure in them is correct.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The infamous "death wobble". As many theories on its cause as the argument of which oil to use. Lots of guys say alignment specs need to be set differently than factory to get rid of it. My TJ would do it if I so much as hit a pine cone on the road. It was stock with 60K when it started in doing it regularly. Track rod is a big one, a friend cured his Ram 4x4 2500's DW by adding more preload to the ball joints when he replaced them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mine isn’t nearly that bad. i drive it everyday and it’s only happened maybe 3 times over 4 months . and i never had to completely stop just slow down just a tad . i believe it will be solved by replacing the parts i need . i had the front wheel balanced not to long ago and instantly felt the difference with that alone

1 - 7 of 7 Posts