Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 2.5L 5spd,( only while in gear ) will sputter or jolt in a manner which I describe as a cough. It's intermittent and can be frequent or just a few times on the ride home. I've cleaned out my intake which made it stop for a couple of weeks, but tonight it came back full force. No significant loss of rpm during cough, only backfires every now and then not too loudly either. Twice while coming to a stoplight the tach went wild and it nearly died. Usually if it's too many coughs I'll throw the clutch in and it'll stop until I'm in gear again.
Replaced recently:
1.Mopar fuel pump assy (used to take several turns of the key to start, works great now)

2.Plugs/wires/distributor cap & rotor/ign coil about 8k miles ago

Another thing to note, my mechanic told me a while back that my exhaust manifold is cracked, which I've kind of put on the back burner for a while now. Could it be a vacuum leak from that? An 02 sensor? TPS? I'd hate to just chuck parts at it unknowingly. Really hoping it's not the timing chain, but I know that's a possibility. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot about this thread, for any who stumble upon it, problem was a bad upstream O2 sensor. It didn't read as bad to the computer, but once replaced with an NTK, all has been perfect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts