Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son recently took our TJ 8 hours away up to college in Northern Michigan. The ride up was long (4 cyc eng) but not too much trouble. Within two days he called to say that he can't seem to get the Jeep into gear (4speed). He said it feels like it will go into all gears, but doesn't seem to engage. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I hate to have him take it somewhere he doesn't know and trust. He's in a dorm so really doesn't have anywhere to try to work on it himself.
I'd appreciate any feedback...:)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
A little more detail will be helpful... the shifter can shift the transmission into all its gears and that part feels normal? He releases the clutch pedal but the engine just revs? Does the clutch feel normal?

Is the 4x4 transfer case lever all the way forward in 2Hi? Having the transfer case mistakenly in Neutral and not 2Hi would allow the transmission to be shifted into all gears but the Jeep wouldn't move when the clutch is released.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts