Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I appreciate your advice and yes i know I spent to much money already ...

I am looking for some advice on replacing or upgrading the engine on my 1997 Jeep TJ SE.

Normally, I would consider selling but I am in to this pretty deep; this was a father-son project and we put a lot of nice parts on this thinking we would have it forever. We were the second owners, completly stock with some body mount rust which was all professional fixed buy a good friend who owns a shop ... knew the 2.5L was under-powered when I bought it.

I am getting confirmation of my motor but am thinking stock 2.5 replacement or 4.0 upgrade.

I will list some of the work done below but the basics are (really don't want to sell or part out)

2.5 Engine 109K miles
Auto transmission (factory option)
Dana 44 rear (factory option)
old man emu lift kit
upgraded alternator
new O&M control arms, brake lines
mickey thompson 31"
new d window rims
complete cooling systems (all parts)
all new body bolts and washers
replace all body mounts (3 needed it)
paint, rino lined (no rust)
Savvy trans case linkage
new door handles, ignition switch, light switch
getting little stuff fixed here and there ... the list goes on ... trust me, it goes on

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
forget the 4.0

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
forget the 4.0
I appreciate the link, I will go through the details. I may go with a rebuilt motor, not sure ... would like to keep the manual trans if I can. I am not sure if the 4.0 engine will bolt up to the 2.5 automatic trans; would think the v8 would be to much for the stock trans. My kids will rag on me if I replace with a 2.5. This could get expensive fast ...

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
I appreciate the link, I will go through the details. I may go with a rebuilt motor, not sure ... would like to keep the manual trans if I can. I am not sure if the 4.0 engine will bolt up to the 2.5 automatic trans; would think the v8 would be to much for the stock trans. My kids will rag on me if I replace with a 2.5. This could get expensive fast ...
The 4.0 wont bolt any 2.5 transmission, sell the jeep and buy one with a 4.0.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 4.0 wont bolt any 2.5 transmission, sell the jeep and buy one with a 4.0.
Thanks for transmission confirmation. I will make this Jeep work, to many dollars in it to scrap / sell with a bad motor.

if I can’t find a 4.0 motor and transmission, for a reasonable price, then I’ll fix the 2.5 or put a new 2.5 in. I know someone who has done Jeep engine swaps before and owns a garage, he’s very fair with his prices but from what you and others have said it’s costly and complicated.

Not selling the Jeep though ... I have an easy 10k in new parts through the restoration. Getting confirmation on what’s going on with the motor, hopefully today.
Thanks again

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
if I can’t find a 4.0 motor and transmission, for a reasonable price, then I’ll fix the 2.5 or put a new 2.5 in. I know someone who has done Jeep engine swaps before and owns a garage, he’s very fair with his prices but from what you and others have said it’s costly and complicated.
Skip the 4.0 and do a 5.3 LS swap or sell the jeep and buy one with a 4.0

·
Registered
2010 JK
451 Posts
If the 4.0 swap is not as simple as you thought, just throw a V8 in there. There are many conversion kits and you can pick almost any common American V8 to swap in. If that's out of your budget, and you don't want a 2.5, then sell it and save up for a 4.0.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the 4.0 swap is not as simple as you thought, just throw a V8 in there. There are many conversion kits and you can pick almost any common American V8 to swap in. If that's out of your budget, and you don't want a 2.5, then sell it and save up for a 4.0.
Why did I know you were going to say, sell it. Lol

I should have mentioned that I’m not going to sell the vehicle.

I get your point. And I’m sure with the karma from this thread, it will be for sale in no time.

·
Registered
2010 JK
451 Posts
Why did I know you were going to say, sell it. Lol

I should have mentioned that I’m not going to sell the vehicle.

I get your point. And I’m sure with the karma from this thread, it will be for sale in no time.
If you don't want to sell, don't. If you have another suitable daily driver, you have more time to decide what to do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you don't want to sell, don't. If you have another suitable daily driver, you have more time to decide what to do.
Yes sir, 2018 grand Cherokee ... I’m new to the wrangler world... lots of options and the TJ is easier to work on and customize.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks .... that’s what I keep coming back to, fix and enjoy.
I wanted to close out the update on my engine issue. The good news is that the engine is fine, once the jeep was at the garage, they were able to get the jeep to start and diagnose the fault codes. They thought the fuel system was clogged, so they cleaned the fuel system, they changed the plugs which were badly fouled, tested the fuel injectors (which were okay). When they tested the fuel pump it was only at 8lbs of pressure. The fuel pump was replaced, and the engine is running smoothly. When the jeep stalled is was pretty violent, I am going to have the engine mounts looked at and I think the exhaust system was racked when the engine kicked and stalled.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts