Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 TJ with a 2.5 and a 5 speed. Also a 4 inch lift with 33's on it.

Found a 1998 TJ with a 4.0 and manual tranny that is used as a parts Jeep. Is this an easy swap? It sounds to me like it would be, but I've read around a little that some say it's not.

I also found a Cherokee with a V8 in it. Could I get the computer from that and make it work in my Wrangler?

Basically, I want the easiest swap for more power, this 2.5 isn't cutting it. I want to be able to pull something with a trailer, and not worry about tearing my transmission out (again).

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The only 'easy' way to get more power would be to buy a new Jeep with a 4.0.

That being said, I just finished a 4.3 Vortec/4L60E swap in my '99. It was by no means easy though, installing any non-standard powertrain is a lot of work. It takes a lot of technical knowledge, ingenuity, time, and most of all... patience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am experienced, for the most part. And I have patience.

But I don't want to 'upgrade' to a whole new Jeep, either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only 'easy' way to get more power would be to buy a new Jeep with a 4.0. That being said, I just finished a 4.3 Vortec/4L60E swap in my '99. It was by no means easy though, installing any non-standard powertrain is a lot of work. It takes a lot of technical knowledge, ingenuity, time, and most of all... patience.
I may have access to a 4.3 and an auto tranny with it. Actually a full GMC Jimmy.

What else would I need for this swap? And how much am I looking to spend to get the Jeep running with it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts