Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just what it says.... Were there any and what are they. One came up for sale locally with several miles on it but other than than that it's pretty clean. Older couple traded it in. Waiting on the car fax now. I'm not new to jeeps, so this is kinda a reassure me question. Thanks!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
'98 TJs have a great reputation. They at first had radiators that tended to leak and an exhaust header that tended to crack but those would both have been taken care of by now.

I wouldn't waste any $$$ on Carfax which does NOT show everything that could have happened. Carfax can only report on things that are reported through official channels. For example if it was totalled, in a flood, etc. and the shop that repaired it didn't report it to the state it won't show up on Carfax.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I was hoping to here.... Have had two 97's, one of which I just sold and looking to replace. Neither of which gave me any problems. Sold the last 97 only to upgrade because it was a 4 cylinder that was starting to develop some body rust issues. Currently have a 05 Rubi that will die with me... The Sahara and Rubi from what I understand are very close cousins minus the lockers... Thanks J for the input.!

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
'98 TJs have a great reputation. They at first had radiators that tended to leak and an exhaust header that tended to crack but those would both have been taken care of by now.

I wouldn't waste any $$$ on Carfax which does NOT show everything that could have happened. Carfax can only report on things that are reported through official channels. For example if it was totalled, in a flood, etc. and the shop that repaired it didn't report it to the state it won't show up on Carfax.

I would not buy a used vehicle without a CarFax. You are absolutely correct in that it will not have any information on mechanical condition or proplems. It may or may not have information on accidents. It does have information on when and where it was registered and for how long. A 15 year old Jeep that is offered for sale in Arizona as a western vehicle with the first 13 years of it's existence in the upper midwest would key one to definitely do a thorough inspection for rust.

When I bought my TJ it was 11 years old. The first two years were in Chesapeak, Va followed by 6 years in Las Vegas, NV and the last three years in S. Georgia. I knew immediately that the original (and only owner) was in the USAF and it would not be a rust bucket. If it had had four or five owners I would have been more leery of it's condition.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
A Carfax is about as accurate as asking the owner about issues. If you're worried about rust, crawl under it and look.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
True, if your only worried about rust. But is it changed hands every six months for the previous several years, it might clue you to issues not otherwise known.

It doesn't cost that much to sign up and get a carfax, and while the OP says he's waiting, if he had signed up and put in the VIN, it would be almost instantaneous. If the PO had run it and saved it as a PDF, he could have e-mailed it within minutes. The fact that he's waiting on it is in itself a red flag.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would hate to buy a vehicle thinking the title was clean only to learn it was a salvaged or R documented on the title when I went to sale it. Its worth it for that information alone.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I would hate to buy a vehicle thinking the title was clean only to learn it was a salvaged or R documented on the title when I went to sale it. Its worth it for that information alone.
You can look at the title when the owner hands it over to you BEFORE you hand over the cash. I always look at the title first.

Reactions: TJMAXX
1 - 8 of 8 Posts