Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! First post from an avid lurker hoping you can help me out :worthy:

I am in the middle of doing some Frankenstein monster type things with poor ole jeepie. Her 2.5 engine broke a piston skirt and it was time to upgrade her with two more cylinders! Located a same year donor jeep with a 4.0, 32RH auto trans, computer, wiring harnesses, tub, and the FRONT half of a rotted frame... I wont bore you with too many engine details, but it hasnt been pretty (needed head machine work and new bearings).

Now for the question! I did not receive the transmission/transfercase crossbeam/skid plate with this donor. I found the attached parts diagram online and believe I am in need of item #11 to make this whole thing work. Contacted the dealer and found it is discontinued from dealers, also couldnt find anything in stock online. Is this a required piece of the equation? Do you have one and are willing to part with it? Can you at least give me some dimensions so I can make my own? Do I need to replace my entire transmission/transfercase crossbeam/skid plate assembly for an automatic specific one?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For anyone who runs into the same issue and wants some measurements to make your own, see the attached images with some measurements.

Tranny mount studs are M8 1.25 (havent verified in person yet) and are approx 3/4" long.

The height/thickness of this adapter bracket I needed will be approx 5/8" to align my transfer-case linkage. I am going with no angle/slope as opposed to the suggestive exploded view diagram but I really wish I knew what this stock OEM angle was... My rear driveshaft angle appears fine but should be able to be adjusted using washers on this mount if necessary.

Any recommendations? Let me know!

Attachments

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
The 30RH is the automatic used on the 2.5L, will the 32RH's input shaft fit and its bell housing even bolt up to the 2.5? I don't think it will. Especially its input shaft.

Edit: Nevermind, I now see he's upgrading to the 4.0L.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 30RH is the automatic used on the 2.5L, will the 32RH's input shaft fit and its bell housing even bolt up to the 2.5? I don't think it will. Especially its input shaft.

I wasnt the clearest in my initial post.

My original 2.5 engine blew a piston skirt and instead of rebuilding it I decided to transplant (and rebuild) a 4.0 in its place. The 4.0 donor vehicle came with the 32RH and 231J with matching splines. The donor vehicle ailed from a heavily rusted frame and was missing the back half including the automatic specific transmission crossmember/skid. After reading that my original AX5 couldnt handle the 4.0's power anyways, I found myself in this transmission mount situation!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts