Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help! I have a 1998 Wrangler SE that's got this persistent stalling problem on the highway. It only seems to happen in warm weather, after I've traveled about 10 miles. The vehicle jerks and stalls repeatedly, sometimes stalling for a couple of seconds before kicking back in again.

I've taken it to the dealer a couple of times. Last visit, they replaced a distributor coil module. That didn't do the trick. Today, they checked my fuel pressure (which was fine), then replaced a crank module (?). I won't know until tomorrow, after they've had another chance to drive it around the highway, if that fixed the problem.

Anyone have any ideas? Because the problem seems to be heat-driven, I'm thinking it's electrical, but I'm no mechanic.

Thanks
SW

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,757 Posts
I might be crazy, but I seem to remember a TSB that was put out about this. Something about exhaust manifold temperatures causing some kind of foul up with the injectors. It made them add some heat shielding in later years.

Does that ring a bell to anyone else?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
How was your fuel pressure checked? Was it checked at idle or at speed? Any error codes found? If so, what were they?

Sounds like it may be fuel related (clogged filter, pump problem).

Could very well be electrical too (ECM or fuel module)

Need more info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.