Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine are completely clapped tf out. Steering column wiggles up and down. (No it's not the tilt... It's the bearings)

I have the column out right now as I have the tub pulled for good ol fashion Yankee rust repair.

Now I've spent a week searching for these damn things and can't seem to find a part number or even specs on it... Does anyone know what bearings I need to order so I can fix the weeble wobble from pulling my fat ass into the Jeep with the steering wheel?

😑😑😑

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Post some photos which might help ID the bearing since you have the column out.

The reason you can’t find the (OEM) part number is because the dealers never supplied the bearing(s) separately, only sold as a complete steering columns which I’m sure are no longer available for your ‘98. You will have to source one elsewhere.

I have never had my column out so do not know what type bearing is used. However, most bearings are common types & a bearing supply business should be able to identify & match it. Also, if you look closely you may find an identifying mark &/or number on the bearing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Maybe check with columnsgalore.com (which is where I got a rebuilt steering column for my 88 Bronco) or with Steeringcolumnservies.com. One of those probably has the bearings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I don't have the steering wheel off yet, but as soon as I do I'll post a picture. Currently it's sitting on a shelf with the firewall shaft still attached to it. I do have a set of digital calipers so worst case I can get one off the measurements once I get it pulled, but I was hoping to get one on the way while I'm welding in new sheet metal and torque boxes. Regardless thank you for the help, I'll be sure to check out all of those options. As I have a manual TJ I'm not sure that steering column will work... Do you know if there is any difference between the two?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

No luck on either of those steering column sites... Tragic. I did find this picture on another forumn, no one even bothered to reply to this poor bastard though, thanks again for the help guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just checked my companies Mitchell crash guides, these guides are used for adjusting collision claims, and have part numbers all the way down to nuts bolts and screws. Under steering column they show the three steering shafts, switches, wheel, and column cover. If the bearings were available by themselves they would have been listed there. There should be numbers on the inner race of the bearing that can be crossed over to another brand.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been in this boat before. Eventually, I had to get a complete assembly from Davey's Jeeps. The bearings are a cheap stamped steel bearing with no identification on them at all.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, thanks for the part number and that fantastic parts source, once I get the steering column apart I will verify that bearing. For now though... Back to cutting out rust and welding in new sheet metal. Thanks again

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the part number and that fantastic parts source, once I get the steering column apart I will verify that bearing. For now though... Back to cutting out rust and welding in new sheet metal. Thanks again
Let us know if that is the proper bearing when you get to it. We'd all like to know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts