Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's Jeep runs great but never starts on the first crank. You can crank it over for several seconds and it doesn't fire. On the second try it starts right up. If you shut it down and restart within a few minutes it starts well but let it sit for a little while and it goes back to needing two tries.

Just wondering what I can do to try to remedy this? Fuel pump maybe?

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had to replace my fuel regulator. The check valve built into it stopped keeping fuel line pressurized and would let fuel seep back into tank. Would have to turn key on a few times to prime lines and then start it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I got my 97 recently it was doing same thing and was the fuel pump and it fixed that issue. Always started like a champ on second crank but never first.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Both are good solutions. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, or can borrow one from a parts house.Put the pressure tester on it and start the jeep. Then shut it down, watch the gauge to see how fast it bleeds down and to what pressure. Also note how much pressure is there at running.
I don't have the specs so you'll need one of the more dedicated gearheads on here to spit those out to you. But if the pressure builds and after shut off it drops to zero, your pressure regulator is bad. It needs to hold some fuel up at the rail to get things fired off. Which I suspect is your problem. Another "government" test is have someone be close to the tank and listen for the pump to come on when you turn the key on but not all the way to start the engine.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Had that in my last 99, pressure also. I just turned the key on to accessory for 10secs prior to starting so the fuel pump could do it's thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts