Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,newbie here wanted to say hello and ask a question. Just purchased a new to me 99 jeep tj 4.0 with approx 146k miles about a month ago, Jeep had a few issues when i got it, death wobble, leak on exaust manifold, heat and ac controls, everything is fixed now and its been doing good. I was hearing a little bit of a knock in the motor after i got the exaust quietened down, so on my oil change i added some marvel mystery oil. driven about 500 miles since then, and today the knock seemed a little louder, also the idle seems to be fluxuating a little, approx 1000 to 800. can barely see the rpm needle moving. a few weeks ago i was backing out of the driveway and all my gauges bottomed out and all of my lights came on, pulled back in the driveway, shut it off, and started it back up and it had a rough idle that went away shortly after and gauges have been fine ever since. it did throw some codes, but i didnt have anything to write them down on.the fluxuating issue started about three days ago. When i replaced the exaust manifold i cleaned the intake was a good bit of build up in it, also cleaned the throttle body and replaced the gasket. I am hoping that these issues arent all tied together but have a fear that they may be. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Any ideas on where to start looking? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks and look forward to being on the forum for quiet a while. Tripp

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I would recheck everything you dismantled and re-installed. Air leaks can cause wacky thing to happen and confuse the motor/computer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I HAVENT DONE THAT YET, MAY BE SMART THOUGH HUH?:banghead: LOL, I ALWAYS TAKE ABOUT THREE HOURS MORE TO DO SOMETHING THAN IT WOULD TAKE THE NORMAL PERSON BECAUSE I DOUBLE AND TRIPLE CHECK EVERYTHING BUT I SHALL DO THAT TOMORROW, AFTER THE MILES SINCE THE REPAIRS I FIGURED THERE WOULDNT BE ANY ISSUES WITH THAT BUT I SHALL SEE. ANY MORE IDEAS THOUGH KEEP EM COMING ANY HELP IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, first day back at work and just sitting here thinking about things, the death wobble is gone, but if i hit a very bad bump it feels like its starting to try to come back then it will settle out. and my steering is extremely sensitive driving 40 plus mph, its almost scary, hard to keep in the lines, i noticed that my sway bar wasnt centered, so i centered it best i could and banded them on the inside of the mounts with hose clamps, hasnt moved since but didnt help much. Any ideas where to go now with this?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Sorry, first day back at work and just sitting here thinking about things, the death wobble is gone, but if i hit a very bad bump it feels like its starting to try to come back then it will settle out. and my steering is extremely sensitive driving 40 plus mph, its almost scary, hard to keep in the lines, i noticed that my sway bar wasnt centered, so i centered it best i could and banded them on the inside of the mounts with hose clamps, hasnt moved since but didnt help much. Any ideas where to go now with this?
I would take a bunch of pictures of your suspension and steering linkage from different angles and then post them. Often times people will be able to identify problems or potential problems by just seeing pics.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
A photo taken from the side showing your steering Pitman arm would be helpful. Your front-end alignment may be in need of adjusting too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just had the alignment done about 150-200 miles ago, new trac bar, i believe it was a pro comp? had the heim joint, thats how i corrected the death wobble, tires to me look like they are toe'd out too far, i could be wrong may get a second opinion on that also

1 - 9 of 9 Posts