Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently put new fenders on my jeep, because the other ones had holes rusted through them. Next step for me is putting new fender flares on and eventually getting a lift kit (preferably 4"). My question for everyone is what is the most affordable lift kit that won't fail on me(planning on having this jeep for a while (158k miles))? Also, once I get the lift kit on are the best size tires for a 4" lift?

Please help a beginner out --- Thanks so much

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
keep on reading, affordable and 4" usually dont go together

many people stick to 3" springs to eliminate the need for SYE and new rear drive shaft(~$500) and adjustable rear control arms(~$500)

the top budget kit right now is probably the zone 4.25" combo. a bit over $500, combines 3" spring lift with a 1.25" body lift

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd check out Zone lifts. I just put a 3 inch zone lift on my TJ, and so far I have zero complaints. I have an 80 mile round trip for work and it handles really well on the highway. You can fit 33's with it, but I'm probably only going to 32's. You'll see rough country is on the cheaper side, but most will tell you to stay away from them.

Just make sure you do your homework before you put in a lift and bigger tires. Bigger tires = bigger expenses. It's not just the cost of the lift and the tires, but you're going to want to factor in re gearing your axles to get the power back you're going to loose going larger. Also steering and brakes might need to be upgraded, and your drivetrain too.

There are lots and lots of threads on here about lift size, what's needed and what tires can fit. I'd start reading and reading some more...that's what helped me in the decision I made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would you recommend just the 3" springs then? I only go off road in the Summer time, otherwise I am just driving on pavement. If this is the case what's the biggest tires I can fit without it looking stupid?

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
Would you recommend just the 3" springs then? I only go off road in the Summer time, otherwise I am just driving on pavement. If this is the case what's the biggest tires I can fit without it looking stupid?
what rear axle do you have? if its a d35, you're limited to a 33" tire

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks reb6672! Any chance you had an estimate cost of how much everything costed you on yours?? I want things to last, so i'm not planning on this being cheap by any means

·
Registered
207 Posts
The lift was $450, and I bought a JKS adjustable trackbar. That was about $200. Metalcloak is another great option for the track bar and I believe it's a little bit cheaper. That's all I've done to it so far..lift wise.

I just went outside and took a picture of the Jeep. This is how it's sitting after about 500 miles on the suspension with 30x9.5x15 tires. I could probably fit 33's, but I'm mostly likely only going to go 32's.

This is pre-lift. I got a good amount of height from the Zone 3 inch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what rear axle do you have? if its a d35, you're limited to a 33" tire
It's probably d35 or whatever the factory put on. I may need to get a need rear axle though.. There's one cup thats rusting out and was hoping to find one and just weld it on, but not sure if thats possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lift was $450, and I bought a JKS adjustable trackbar. That was about $200. Metalcloak is another great option for the track bar and I believe it's a little bit cheaper. That's all I've done to it so far..lift wise.

I just went outside and took a picture of the Jeep. This is how it's sitting after about 500 miles on the suspension with 30x9.5x15 tires. I could probably fit 33's, but I'm mostly likely only going to go 32's.

Looks good. Now is this after you updated the breaks, drivetrain and everything else? how much would that cost to do or can I manage to do that by myself?

·
Registered
207 Posts
No...I haven't done anything else other than the suspension lift...that's why I'm still on the small tires. I want to go up to bigger ones, but at the same time I don't want to loose my gas mileage or performance. I just have the stock dana 35 rear axle with 3.07 gears. Right now, I have use of my 5th gear and get about 17MPG. As soon as I go up in tires, both of those are going to go away :( So I've been looking for a set of axles from a 4 cyl TJ that had 4.10 gears. I'm thinking I can pick them up fairly cheap and it would be a good gear ration for 32 inch tires.

The lift wasn't hard to do at all...I fought with a lot of rusted and broken bolts though so it took me much longer than it should have. If nothing broke I could have had it done in a full day or so. It took me about 2.

If you don't have that much experience working on jeeps or cars, you could always start talking with a local Jeep club...they are usually willing to help out for the cost of food and beer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah I see! send me a pic of it when you put 32" tires on it, I'm interested in seeing what it looks like! and sounds good, I might have to look for a place that would let me get some experience.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'll be installing the zone 4.25" lift and metal cloak track bar next weekend at a friends garage. Just got the wheels and tires in today and I'm stoked!

image-945502190.jpg

·
Registered
497 Posts
I got a 4.5 bds lift on the way, it was 1500 but the kit looks amazing and includes adjustable arms, brake lines and all the works

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
That wouldn't happen to be one of yours Water Dog would it?
That is my son's Jeep. It's about a 3 year old picture. He's changed fenders and bumpers on it now.

How does that ride on the highway??
It rides great on the highway, and it does well off road. The only extra's he added were the disconnects, and a Metalcloak front track bar. Here's a few pictures from the Rubicon Trail from a couple of years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very nice Jeep! I was curious about the body lift and the front bumper he has on there. Same bumper I have.. I like how it's in line with the bottom of the front fenders now, but was worried that with the body lift it would look a little awkward. I'm not sure if your son has the body lift on in those pics, or if he had to modify the bumper to raise it a little.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If you guys search "4.25" in the TJ pics section, you can see several rigs with this set up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts