Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.5L engine (175,000 miles) had the o2 sensor just below the manifold went (check engine light came on and I had the code checked and confirmed it was the o2 sensor) bad the other weekend. I replaced, and after a week, the new one went bad. When I removed it, it had a lot of black soot on it. I checked the spark plugs and they had some soot on them too. Any idea what the cause is and how to fix it?

Thanks!!!

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Therein lies your problem. While Bosch makes a superior product IMO, our Jeeps don't like them. As stated above get yourself a NTK brand sensor and your problems will go away.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2.5L engine (175,000 miles) had the o2 sensor just below the manifold went (check engine light came on and I had the code checked and confirmed it was the o2 sensor) bad the other weekend. I replaced, and after a week, the new one went bad. When I removed it, it had a lot of black soot on it. I checked the spark plugs and they had some soot on them too. Any idea what the cause is and how to fix it?

Thanks!!!
Well, it has been a while since I posted this. After several years and more o2 sensors than I can count, I found my problem. I was replacing the fuel injectors and I looked down on the exhaust manifold an seen a crack. I found some high temp sealer and put in on the crack and it helped. Well, I decided to replace the exhaust manifold and to my surprise, there were more cracks on the back side. With the new manifold in places well as the o2 sensor, no more check engine light and it runs great. I knew something had to be wrong that I was missing. Thanks to all and maybe this will help someone else in the future. by now, my TJ has 262,900 miles on it and still going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts