Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today marks the first day that I took my YJ restoration on its maiden voyage. Jesus Christ that was the scariest drive I've ever embarked on.

First things first, I'm going to figure out how to put a washer on my pitman arm if it needs it, im sure it does because the steering has play in it with the YJ off and sitting still.

I need to figure out how to set my toe right after the 4" RC lift.

I disconnected my front sway bar, not sure if im going to connect it. Maybe i'll do the above fixes and see if I need to connect it or not.

Front and rear trackbars are off.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I believe my idler pulley is going out. It sounds like a supercharger when im driving down the road. No squeal when I start it up, only when im revving the engine with or without load.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
To each there own, I use a Track bar and Sway bar on the front of mine and it drives fine, but Does not drive good with out either, just My Heep, but I don't poke along, I drive It!

Reactions: Mad_Charlie

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To each there own, I use a Track bar and Sway bar on the front of mine and it drives fine, but Does not drive good with out either, just My Heep, but I don't poke along, I drive It!
After tightening up my pitman arm with a new lock nut, I ended up putting my sway bar back on. Definitely an improvement!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sway bar makes a big difference. I took the track bars off, but like you put the sway bar on. For people that don't think there is a lot of stress on the sway bar, this is what happened after hitting a pot hole and getting a bad case of death wobble:

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do not have a swaybar or trackbars installed on my YJ, and it rides better than it ever did. I do have some old (late 90's) 2.5" pro c**p leaves, brand new Bilstein shocks, Currie shackles and leaf bushings all the way around. There is a corner on my work commute that has a suggested speed of 25 mph because of the curve, I can take it at the normal road speed (45 mph) with little body roll, and it feels safe and secure through the whole turn. I did work up to the normal road speed so as to not take any chances. I think the combination of leaves and shocks is the determining factor whether you need a sway bar or not. We obviously don't need track bars because we have leaf springs. Maybe we can get a chart or poll showing people's leaf/shock combination and if they run a swaybar or not.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sarge, I got my Zone lift kit installed today. I went ahead and bought the zone quick disconnect sway bars. I noticed in your picture above you did not get them. I think they were only about $75 and make for removing the swaybar really easy. May be worth looking in to

·
Registered
711 Posts
I just used the connectors that came with my kit. I had to go to a salvage yard to get the sway bar and mount brackets as the PO had pulled them off and they didn't come with the Jeep when I bought it. I don't do a lot of hard core offroading up here where I live, so for now these extended connectors should work fine once I address my other front end issues.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Hey UPStrades, Did you ever get your steering lined out? What all did it need?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey UPStrades, Did you ever get your steering lined out? What all did it need?
Funny story. After I installed my sway bar I also put a locking washer on my pitman arm and tightened the steering box. I ended up taking off my front sway bar due to the harshness of the ride and I honestly cannot tell a difference in driveability/steering.

So If you're having the same issues as I did after my lift, look at putting a washer in between your pitman arm mounting holes and tightening up your steering box after you've ensured that your joints are all good.

I did install a set of new Maxxis 33's with Procomp steel wheels. I'm sure the new wheels and tires also helped control my Jeep.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts