Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to jeeps but I have been tinkering with my first one. I have a 97 4.0 5 speed tj . I have just installed a 3" bds susp. lift on it and new 33x10.50 tires. I have also used the 1.250 transfer case drop kit for now. Brand new u-joints(2 of them) in the rear.
I have been noticing and feeling sometimes when I pull out in first gear,sometimes during a turn theres a noise like thunk,thunk,thunk then it goes away as I speed up. and sometimes theres just like a Clunk sound and feel. Both of these occurances seem to be coming from right underneath me or more forward. I had taken off the front driveshaft completely and I did notice it quieted down slightly but not completely gone, there still seems to be a clunk sometimes during a turn under load. I am not hammering on the throttle neither, im an old man. I had the front end jacked up in the shop and was spinning both tires and couldn't see or hear anything out of the ordinary. Im sorry if my post is to long or vauge trying to explain whats going on. I guess if I knew I would fix it. lol
Anyone wanna take a stab at what I should look at next or what this might be?
thank you for taking the time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not sure, I will deffinetly look at them. I semi looked the other day and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary but I will check again.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Definitely check your rear transmission mount. A transmission mount that is borderline separated or deteriorated at stock drive line angles many times will allow too much movement at the steeper drive line angles produced by lifting. If the clunk disappears if you try it in 4wd high, it's almost certainly the rear mount.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I might just get a new trans mount and put it in while I'm putting my front driveshaft back in. Thanks guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts